Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Times of London - Westminster Abbey & Quintessential London

 June 19, 2024


I was surprised by London's northern latitude, and this being mid-summer, I was pleasantly surprised by the extent of daylight given to us to explore at these latitudes. The sun used to never set on the British Empire, but now it sets at 10:30 in London, good enough for a more than full day of exploring.

Explore with a broad sweep to take in the quintessential sights of London was what we decided to do that afternoon in Hyde Park. With our growing confidence in using The Underground, we beat feet back to our local Bayswater Station and tapped our Oyster Card to get us through the turnstiles to the Circle Line and Victoria Station for a look around.

Emerging from the Underground, we found ourselves in a madding crowd of other tourist. As we were reminded to 'Mind the gap' at certain stops, we were also reminded by painted warnings at the corners to 'Look Right' so as not to step into left-sided driving traffic sneaking up on those of us accustomed to looking for traffic coming the other way. Still, I nearly stepped into a double decker bus rounding a corner, being pulled back by a fellow from Austin, Texas who noted my University of Texas Longhorn cap. Gotta look out for fellow Austinians (& Keep Austin Weird as they say). Small world.


Sue awaits the Circle Line train at Bayswater Station

It was my intention while in London, that we pay a visit to Westminster Abbey, Parliament, the Elizabeth Tower housing Big Ben (the name of the bell) and the River Thames. This was to be a broad brush approach until we honed our interests in this big town with so much to offer. Would we concentrate on London's literature; Shakespeare, Padding Bear, Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter or history and cruelty or royalty or architecture or what?

We will think it over and decide tomorrow. Plenty to see on the hoof around Victoria Station this afternoon. Options abound.

A sea of saffron-robed touring monks crosses with iPhone in hand

 









British Parliament

Sue at Westminster Bridge

British Parliament with Richard I The Lionhearted

Sue straddles The Prime Meridian extending around the earth through London's Greenwich Observatory.
Her left foot in the Eastern Hemisphere, right foot in the Western Hemisphere

St. Margaret's Church next to Westminster Abbey

We saw a host of double decker coaches (aka 'buses') flowing around all of these central London landmarks and wondered how we too might get such a tour. I happened to spot a small woman dressed in a jaunty lavender accented outfit with a lapel button with an "i", which I assumed meant that she had valuable information. I stopped her and inquired about catching a coach to tour London.

I was informed that since it was now past 17:00, that it was too late to book a tour for today. But, we should do so online tomorrow and catch it at a stop near our hotel in Hyde Park. I grabbed a photo opportunity with her and thanked her after I made a second inquiry; where would she recommend that we enjoy some fine fish & chips in the vicinity?


A jaunty woman provides valuable information



We switch hats in gratitude















Upon the advice of the jaunty guide, we walked toward Trafalgar Square looking for a pub that we understood to be named 'Two Guards'. We walked and looked, growing hungrier, but apparently no closed to our first fish & chips. 

In a failed search for fish & chips


We admitted defeat and consulted the iPhone - find fish & chips near me. We headed back toward Victoria Station and beyond in search of the Laughing Halibut.


The Laughing Halibut

Finally. A meal of fish & chips
The Laughing Halibut

We stepped into the establishment, I caught the eye of the gentleman at the front and asked if we were too late to get a meal of fish and chips?

He smiled and assured me that if I just took a seat, he'd be happy to bring me  London's best fish & chips. 

Deal.

A portly workingman heard my banter and volunteered that he comes here all the time because this is the best food around, rubbing his belly to emphasize his point. 

We found a table.

To my surprise, they also served Dr. Pepper. I ordered one, though the can is smaller. I was told that this Dr. Pepper is rumored to be close to the original formula that uses cane sugar rather than corn syrup. Maybe.


Abraham (family from Cyprus) paid special attention to Yanks from Texas

The proprietor chatted me up; "Where in the States are you from?"

Texas. [though I could have also said Washington - near Canada, but I felt that was not the best answer here]

Oh. I'd love to visit Texas. My uncle went to Texas and said that they are very friendly and hospitable. Just like my people back in Cyprus.

Abraham then wanted to know about Texas barbeque and some of the secrets and what it took to master a fine smoked meat. We talked Texas BBQ and he grew excited. I encouraged him to take a carnivore holiday, visiting as many of Texas Monthly's TOP 50 BBQ joints as he could. He would not be disappointed.

We left him with a few ideas as we walked up the street to get some ice cream before we took the Tube back to our hotel. A long quintessential day in London Town.











No comments: