Wednesday, September 9, 2015

That Hot-Under-The-Collar Feeling

It was a Friday Evening.
It is always a Friday Evening - you know this to be true.

It is a Friday evening when one of the children starts to run a fever.
It is a Friday evening when the other child pukes.
It is a Friday evening when you get a severe tooth ache.
This time it was a Friday evening when we were headed to bed, when I made the comment, "Does if feel kind of warm in here?"
It was a Friday evening when I ran my checks on the A/C system; the outside fan was running normally, the breaker box was in an undisturbed condition, but the blower unit in the upstairs closet had a peculiar look.  There was ice coating the copper fittings leading into the condenser coils.  This was not normal.  I applied a hair dryer to the ice coating, figuring if I removed the abnormal condition, the A/C system might be good enough to work through the night.  I figured wrong.

It was a Saturday morning following a sweaty Friday night, when I called the service company.  They roundaboutedly suggested the problem was a dirty filter.  I told them that it is changed regularly, and was last replace one month ago.  She did not seem convinced.  I was thinking the ice was forming from something being off in the PV/T gas law of physics.  Instead, She insisted I needed to turn off the system and allow all the ice to melt.  With a inside temperature at 84 degrees, that would not take long.  Also, since this is a weekend, there will be an additional $175 surcharge for a service call.  I told her we would wait until Monday.  I call them back on Monday, and they will send somebody out that very day.

Monday, Monday, Monday.  Charlo, a French-Canadian by way of Vancouver, and for what is it worth, a descendant of Cardinal Richelieu; shows up in the afternoon.  Charlo pumps in 2-1/2 pounds of coolant to the system, and we are on our way to becoming the cool people we know we should be.  We bid him a fond adieu; as we raise our foils and exclaim, "All for one and one for all!  Be cool!


Cardinal de Richelieu.jpg
Cardinal Richelieu
His descendant supplies 1 kilo of Coolant
And we live in comfort again

No comments: