Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Test Cookies

Dinner preparations were going along just fine, a stir of the vegetables on the stove top burner, and then a peek inside the oven to check on the pork roast... oooh, this can't be good.  Sue calls me in from the living room to evaluate the situation.  I agree, this can't be good.

The bottom element in the oven is flaring a large 5-inch hissing flame and the metallic element is melting as we watch it slowly falls into two pieces.  This is more than a little fat splashed on the burner.  This is a catastrophic failure of a 25 year old appliance.  The top element remains in good condition, so a switch to 'broil' and dinner is served in a few more minutes.  The next evening it is a time to go to Pei Wei and grab a fortune cookie.  Sue's fortune reads, "You are about to eat a stale dessert", I crumble and open my cookie to read my fortune, "Once burned, twice shy".  Upon returning home, I grab my set of ratchet wrenches and unfasten the metal plate that holds the burned out element at the back of the oven,  I disassemble the connecting wires and lay out the charred remains on the stove top.

The next morning Sue heads to downtown Garland to visit Staten's Appliances, a wonderful throwback establishment that has stacks of burners and heating elements and all manner of salvaged cooking and refrigerating appliances crowding the dim pathways under a low-slung roof where all things are orderly heaped according to their kind.  Sue tells Mr. Staten, "I need one of these things" as she holds up the non-functioning part, "only I would like it to be in one piece".  With a wink and a nod, the party of two wanders into the dim aisle of salvaged oven parts and he pulls out a match.  This will be $25.  A done deal.  
The few machine screws that I removed were stored safely in a plastic contained, Sue arrives home and reassembles the heating element, cleans the oven and the two racks and lines the space with bright new aluminium foil.  

When I come in at the end of the day, I notice the destroyed element is gone; I peek into the oven and see a warm red glow on the lower element and a tray of chocolate chip cookies sitting on a newly cleaned oven rack.  Sue smiles and says "Those are 'test cookies'".

Ah, what a woman, repairs the oven, mixes a batch of cookies from scratch and and has it all working.   Love at 375 degrees.  The cookies passed the test too.

No comments: