Saturday, November 6, 2010

Becoming The Suit

Wed., October 20, 8:45 PM:   "Oh, by the way, you know I going to Home Coming, right?"

"The football game or the dance, or both?  Home Coming is this weekend, am I correct?"
"I hate to miss the Rangers American League Championship game, so I'll probably skip the football game, but I'll go to the dance on Saturday."
"Are there girls involved in this plan?"
"Yeah, me and Sam are going to meet over at Zach's, I'll bring Calli and Zach's got a real hot date from somewhere and Sam thinks he can get someone to go with him."

"The plan sounds fine, but you are going to need a suit, and do you think Calli should get a corsage?"
"Yeah, probably."

Thursday after school, Grant walks to my office and we drive to K&G's Men's store to pick out some nice formal attire for Saturday Night.  Grant thinks he would like to go with a black sports coat and nice black slacks.  Based on his fitting with his orchestra tux, we start with size 46 R.  Grant tries on a few sport coats, but I suggest that rather than trying to match jacket and pants, we should try looking at suits.  Grant sees the wisdom and conservation of clothes shopping effort in my thinking and we move toward the suit racks.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Black velvet jacket?  As I pull my find from the hanger.  No Dad, I do not think so, Grant deadpans.  Based on his tone of voice, this is now serious business.  The original man-in-black style begins to lose primacy as Grant considers other fashion possibilities.  Grant selects a couple of pin-striped suits, likes the look.  A classic.  He finds the suit that suits him.  I agree that he has selected a good looking suit (far better than the plaid polyester monstrosities that were my first sets of formal clothing).  Now let us see if we can get the trousers tailored by Saturday night.  We ring the bell to summon the tailor, and after a few minutes a small Vietnamese woman appears; and yes the trousers will be ready Friday after 5 PM; Must Bring Ticket!  

Grant takes the claim ticket and proclaims, "I like the feel of wearing a suit, makes me feel snappy.  And after all if I am hosting the desk at Sports Center on ESPN, I will have to be wearing suits everyday."

No comments: