Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A Walk in My Winter Woods

Sweeping in from the arctic north, clear, cold air, settled upon my woodland home.

My water well froze as the frigid air mass sat upon Western Washington for several days. I was without water for two-and-a-half days. Along with the unexpected inconvenience, I found beauty in the flooded bottomlands in my back 40 acres. This flood chute feature of Pilchuck Creek, colloquially known as the Duck Pond, extended across my woodland trail after days of rain and then froze. 

Fantastic ice patterns formed among the ferns and mosses, wrapping their frozen contour lines around tree trunks, snags and sticks. Once I thawed my water pump and took my first hot shower, I was delighted to capture the concentric lines of graceful beauty etched by Jack Frost on the forest floor.

Flooded Duck Pond ice patterns are drawn by Jack Frost deep in the forest


Layered channels woven into the ice

Mesmerized by swirling patterns that form around the pole    



Concentric rings reach out from bank

An Ice Eye looks northward

Frozen traces amaze me

A snag acts a the nucleus for a crystalline circle dance


 


  

No comments: