Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Arlington Art Walk

 

The train don't run here no more - But the old Arlington station is a good place to start an artsy stroll.
 
  
 
 
Arlington, Washington; Sue's hometown. 
Arlington, Washington; My new hometown. 
 
It's been a strange journey of body, mind and soul for me. In designing and resurrecting a home on the old, burned-over foundations of my wife's childhood home, I suddenly find myself at home in the dream of the new house in Arlington. I feel and realize the reality for me is my home is no longer in Texas, but on the acreage that has been ours for decades. I have found the banks of Pilchuck Creek to be where my mind and soul have been planted. I was not expecting this transformation so soon and so solid in my mind. I have changed and I have embraced the reality of being a resident Man of the Pilchuck.
 
With the days of Sue's summer visit fleeting, I suggest we tour on foot the downtown of Arlington. Old, familiar ground for her and new ground for me. It seems like something we should do together while we're together. 
 
Arlington is a small town. Arlington has been here for over a hundred years, some things have changed little, other things are added beside the old as progress would have it. The old iron rails than ran through downtown Arlington have been pulled up and the railroad right-of-way has been paved for a bicycle path and a modest art walk. Together, the hometown girl and her newcomer boy walked for a few blocks to see the local art.
 
Sue stops to smell the rose embedded in the chain link fence and skips away to make room for a large bee - or is it a murder hornet? Yikes! On to the next installation.
 

Mark gets stared down by a spotted owl. So, who's spotting who?
Sue moves among the boughs of an iron tree where an iron horse used to run.

The old iron horse is commemorated by a mural on the alley-side of a downtown business.

Sue dances away from a charging bear. Maybe this is an 'Art Run' not an 'Art Walk'.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We have worked up an appetite drinking in the art; we walk a few block to La Playa Mexican Restaurant and enjoy salsa, chips and a grande burrito in downtown Arlington.


 Thou art welcome in Arlington, native or newcomer.





         




No comments: