Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Little House in the Big Woods: Ex-siding Developments

 April 9, 2022, the chilly afternoon rain turns to slower-descending, fatter blobs of slushy sleet precipitation, which becomes a light snowfall that Sunday Evening. 

 

Gnarled and neglected limbs of an old orchard apple tree blossom for spring.
This frosty white coating matches the apple blossoms that appeared the day
before on the gnarled remnants of the old orchard sharing the 10 acres upon which the house is being resurrected. Wild plum and legacy apple blossoms shout spring, the sky laughs at the earthbound holder of seasons and showers snow upon their audacious life-promises and chills their delicate hope of a warmer season.

The snow melts away by late Monday morning, making conditions good enough for the 2-man siding crew to finish their task of measuring and cutting the cement board siding and mounting it to the OSB sheeting that has hung bare on the skeletal studs for far too long this winter.

The siding crew is well experienced at their craft and they cut and fit the trim around the windows and do a fine job trimming my unique, yet difficult round portals. They are finished. And when they leave, my structure has become a house, a house wrapped in a skin which gives the appearance of home.

The turret will be clad in stone, a fine salt and pepper granodiorite quarried and shipped from Hardy Island, British Columbia. Once the stone facade is on, I will select the siding paint to coordinate with the stone exterior; a light gray to pick up the quartz and feldspar with black trim to accentuate the biotite and ferro-mag minerals in the granite. I wish I could afford to make the whole house out of stone.

I will paint the siding myself. I figure I will save $4,000. I have the time to move a tall ladder around and roll paint onto the siding - that is I will have time to paint once it stops snowing on me and my apple blossoms. 

Ship-lap cement board siding is installed, awaiting granodiorite cladding on the turret

East-facing arched entry to double doors
South side off of kitchen and dining room. Deck yet to be added.

Back (west) side of house, over looking a small brook and moss-covered alders

North side porch and entry



  

No comments: