Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Easter - this year in Tumwater!

This year, the Jewish Passover, the Muslim month of Ramadan and the joyous Christian Easter celebrations all coincided. During the Passover, at the close of the Jewish Seder Supper, the Jews proclaim their wish to all be reunited and celebrate together with the closing phrase; 'Next year in Jerusalem!'

This year the phrase went out among the Suneson family ahead of Easter; This year in Tumwater! Sister Sheri and her husband Tony sent out invitations with their plans for the Paschal Feast in their new home in Tumwater. The Suneson family gathered with dad (a healthy 91) Wendy and Barth from Anacortes, their son Brian and his wife Amy plus their darling daughter Ellie (7 months), also from Tumwater. Amy's parents, Ray and Beth were visiting from California and were joyfully included and I traded the environs of my trailer home at the construction site for a 2-night stay with Sheri and Tony. I count ten big people at Sheri's festive table and one little baby girl getting a taste of some real food.

I left Friday afternoon, grinding my way down I-5 for 116 miles to Tumwater in the holiday traffic, covering the distance in about 3-1/2 hours - averaging about 33-1/3 mph, made me think I was moving at the same rate as an old vinyl record on a turntable.

Sheri sets a fine table

Sheri's Saturday feast featured a large ham, she made a couple of quiches, set out bowls of berries and fresh fruit, dad brought two pineapples he diced himself, Wendy a couple of salads and Brian pinwheel sides. I brought a bottle of pinot noir that only I drank; the other 9 declined - a good thing too, because my selected bottle was spoiled wine and tasted terrible. Dessert for those interested in a celebratory Easter sweet, was a homemade coconut cake with ice cream.

Sheri scurries about to host the Easter Feaster

 

It was a festive gathering of 4 generations. After the Paschal Feast, Sheri suggested; "Next year on the Pilchuck?"

I said, "That is my fervent wish. It would be so right and good to host an Easter celebration 'Next year on the Pilchuck'.

PS: We have plenty of acreage on the Pilchuck for an epic Easter Egg hunt! 

Barth carves the Easter Ham

 

 

Wendy serves salad
Ellie takes in Uncle Tony and Daddy from Amy's arms



Dad visits with Beth and Ray (Amy's parents)


The Paschal Banquet at the Anecito's new home


Ellie reaches for everything - and eats some of it


During the meal, I got a text from daughter Inga in Portland, OR that her Subaru, which had been stolen from in front of her place about ten days earlier, had been found. The police had it towed to a vehicle lot, where she and Sean went to recover it. Amazing that it only had damage to a cut fuel line, a missing battery and of course the trashed steering column where they cracked and dismantled the ignition system. The catalytic converts where intact, all four wheels remained - it could have been much worse.

I remarked that the stolen battery and cut fuel line were like the stigmata of Christ's nailed hands and feet, and the pierced steering column like His pierced side while upon the cross. I proclaimed the recovered Subaru an Easter miracle. He is Risen! Let us rejoice, Hallelujah!

Our feast and Inga's good news (all things considered) was punctuated by thunder and outpouring of pea-sized hail from the heavens rattling the roof and piling up on the patio.

What a day!   


Ellie say "Good bye, and have a Happy Easter!"

 

After our grand time together, Wendy and Barth returned north to their home, dad was delivered back to his senior residence 6 miles away, Brian, Amy + Ellie and Amy's parents went to their home no far away while I spent the night in the Anecito's guest room.

I was given the choice by Sheri as to what I wanted to do Easter Sunday, and I chose the option to attend worship services with her and Tony. It was the first time since the outbreak and COVID restrictions that she and Tony had been inside the sanctuary of First Methodist of Olympia. It was a triumphant event - every part of it.

I stopped to visit dad Sunday afternoon in his room before returning to the Pilchuck. He and I found it a pleasant visit. We celebrate the resurrection and a joyous gathering.


 

No comments: