Sunday, November 4, 2012

Moving on Down

While leaning against a log on the Mukilteo Beach on Puget Sound this past August, I was enjoying the salty sea-breeze and conversation when I get a message from LamCim Building Management, who is - putting this mildly, "a hands-off manager" of the building in which Sunstone Exploration leases office space.  Some may choose to use the term "slum lord".  Anyway, LamCim wanted immediate actions from all of the tenants on the 3rd & 4th floors, to either relocate to the 2nd floor or vacate their office.  The reason is that the building is minimally maintained that there are very few of us left in the building and management was tired of the cost of upkeep for a/c and other items for those of us above the 2nd floor.  I returned the message to LamCim indicating I would like to relocate to the 2nd floor - once I return from vacation.  No response from LamCim.   

My reasons for staying in the building were: it is only 3 miles from home, I like the convenience of banking with the bank branch that occupies the 1st floor, where I am on first name basis with the tellers, as well as the small town ambiance of downtown Garland and the lunch options within walking distance, not to mention the disruption and hassle involved in finding a new location and arranging for internet service and moving files, desks etc. and printing new business cards.

Once I reluctantly got up and moved away from the gentle lapping of the tide upon the Mukilteo beach gravel and flew back to Texas, I called LamCim and asked them to provide a few details for this "immediate" relocation.  Amy Airhead, the titular building manager, called one morning shortly thereafter and said she happened to be in the building to meet with another tenant, and wondered if I would like to meet with her regarding the move - now?  Sure - thanks for the returned call and for the courtesy of scheduling an appointment.  I left my suite #305 and met Amy Airhead on the second floor.  I looked at the available space (all of it on the 2nd floor) with Amy Airhead and said I'd like to have the office in the northwest corner of the building.  It was a single room with a few square feet more than my current 2 room office, but an equitable trade off.  Though I had adjusted to my space being split between a working room and a file & junk room, now I would have to deal more judiciously with my junk.  Amy said she would now consider my request.

About 1 week later, the last week of August, the A/C completely failed.  I called Amy Airhead (she does not take calls, but one can leave a message).  Via email, I am told that management was about to replace the compressors.  I email back, "better hurry, it is awfully warm in here."  No action over the next few days.  My emails go to Amy, inquiring on any solutions for a/c or the planned move?  The North Texas heat wave takes hold for the first week of September with triple digit temperatures.  I bring my thermometer from the house and put it on my desk.  It is 89 when I walk into my office in the morning and by 1:30 it is reading 100 degees (F)!  I take a photo of the thermometer.  I do not stay too long in my office for the next few days.

I go see the Civil Engineers in Suite 316, and I see that they have portable a/c units throughout there office space.  I tell them it is 100 degrees inside my office and acknowledge that they at least have a solution with the portable a/c.  He tells me, "My attorney got those for us."  I get his attorney's number.  I email Amy Airhead, and she sends back email with the lie that they will see what they can do for me about a portable a/c and the new a/c compressors are about to be installed - and she might as well have added that "the check is in the mail and it will be delivered by the Easter Bunny."  When I tell the engineers what the building management told me about replacing the units, he laughs and says, "they are not going to replace those units" [sucker]. 

Next I call city council member representing the downtown district.  She gets right back to me and sends the building inspector over the next day.  I meet with the city inspector, but he says there is not a lot they can do for slum lords of commercial property, and says he knew a guy whu used to office in this building "but the management was so @#%%! up that he moved out - that is probably your best option also."

The attorney for the engineers is in court so I contact another attorney, show him my lease agreement and he says I have a case because 3 weeks of no a/c is not beyond there control and as a rent-paying tenant, I have a right under Texas law to expect the premises to be habitable. 

I call LamCim. No response.  I send an email relaying what I learned from the my lawyer.  and ask for 1 month free rent (3 weeks without a/c and loss of work time + attorney fees).  A week later, just before rent is due, I get a letter via email that asks, "Why are you threatening me? We gave you a bigger office (+24 sq ft) and besides we are not liable."  Offering to reduce 1 month's rent by 50%.  I call.  No response.  Still waiting for several messages left with slum lord be returned.

After 3 weeks I did get help in moving down to Suite 210 (I believe I share this number with Sherlock Holmes on Baker Street) and I have a/c and walls painted with a color that screams Hot Dog Stand Yellow.  Any hope in getting a response?  All I want is a discussion of what is fair and why others were provide a/c while I was lied to.

My Slum Lord Tony C., deserves to live in hell, but I will bet he and Satan share air conditioning and Tony would be the first to invoke Satan himself if he was without a/c for even a single day. 



No comments: