Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rock 'n Roll

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones has often had his quote, "If I am still doing Rock 'n Roll when I am 30 - I should be shot" thrown back at him.  Especially as his Rock band last toured when he was in his mid-60's. I think we all wish some of our thoughts, words and actions from our earlier years were tempered with what we later come to recognize as a fuller perspective and appreciation of the world.  It has been advised (by somebody with a 'fuller perspective'), to 'Quick, hire a Teenager while they still know everything'.

As for me, I do not feel particularly old, and I kind of think I am holding my own, especially when it comes to important matters in life.  But, apparently some in this household (he will be 18 in July) casually recognize that contrary to my own self-deceived opinion, I am old: 
  • For One, old people still blog. [Yeah. Got me there]
  • And Two, do I really know and recognize the important entertainment names of the 21st Century and can I name any bands of note? [OK, I might surprise you on a few, but the truth is I do not know many, and more importantly, I do not care] 
  • Point made - I am not young and cool.  And my heart is breaking - not!
For the younger and cooler lucky members of this household, a year or so ago they began to follow the band, Guster.  Grant made the effort to send some mail to Guster and in return they sent him a free Guster logo T-Shirt packaged in a used Betty Crocker cake mix box along with a personal note.  Good guys in my opinion.

Guster is now touring and Grant was invited by his friend Sam to attend their gig at the House of Blues in Uptown Dallas.  Sam's Dad was to buy the tickets for the April 8th concert, and actually attend the venue with the boys.  Grant got back in the door at 1 AM, and awoke Strider who barked and then woke the rest of us up.  His mother scrambled out of bed to get a quick debriefing on his impressions of the evening.  My wife returned to slip under the covers and reported to me that Grant was obviously pleased with the event.  Keep in mind, I am too old and too unhip to roll out of bed at 1 AM [that's just how I roll - or, why I don't roll], so I saved my questions until a civilized, daylight hour discussion could be had.

The following late afternoon, when the cool dude gets out of bed, I asked about the evening.  The House of Blues was an intimate venue and they got to hang out with the opening act, Jukebox the Ghost, which were talented in their own right. And then Guster performed for about 2 hours.  I asked if going to the concert with Sam's Dad was at all strange?  I was told that Sam's Dad looks young and is a fan of Guster, so, no he fit in pretty well.  Grant estimated the median age of the crowd to be in their mid- to late 20's.  [OK, fine. By implication I am not only old in an abstract way, but also in comparison with the parents of his peers. Yeah, twist that dagger in my old psyche]

After he was debriefed by Mom, he quickly went to the computer to skype with is older sister away at college (where it was only 11 PM).  On skype, Grant, the younger brother, got to boast about seeing the live performance and being a part of the close up venue with a band that they both admire.  In addition, Grant has introduced Inga to Jukebox the Ghost, an she approves of them highly. It is good for the younger sib to count coupe  and get some 'street cred' approval from his sister.  It was a good day to be with a friend, stay out late and enjoy some live music and then get to gloat about all he had done to somebody who could truly appreciate the value of the experience.
Even an old guy can appreciate that.

Rock 'n Roll will Never Die!
Guster: http://www.guster.com/

No comments: