Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Exploding Easter & Hoppin-ings

Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to tomb and asked each other, "who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.  As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.
Account of The First Easter
The Gospel of Mark (16:2-5)

Not that I wish to make any grandiose claims or messianic comparisons between the Gospel accounts of the unexpected empty tomb of Jesus on that first Easter morning with what went on in my kitchen oven on Easter morning of this year - but, I must admit that I and the dog were both alarmed.

Sue was still part of the celebration at Preston Hollow Presbyterian, while Grant was packing up from his gig with Impact, where he plays bass guitar for the band during worship at First Presbyterian, Richardson.  Sue had baked an angel food cake the night before, reasoning that those rude angels always seem to be showing up unexpectedly around Easter, it is best to have some angel food for them just in case they come to our house. Unannounced.  Don't want to look like Mary Magdalene and get caught unawares.  So, with dessert already done ahead of time, it  fell to me to get the Pascal Feast started while the others were still away.

The main course this year (something new) was corned beef.  I went online to get directions for time/temp for a 3 lb brisket.  While marveling at all things corned beef available on the web, I stumbled across rave reviews for corned beef slow cooked in Guinness Irish stout beer and brown sugar.  I did not have the proper beer bottles, and doubted I could find a liquor store open on Easter Sunday morning, so I substituted a jug of wine from Misters Ernest and Julio Gallo.

Easter, all the old has passed away, and behold all things have been made new. 
A new table cloth, best china set and silver place settings were laid out...
WHAR-RUUUUMPH!
My, my, what is going on in the kitchen?
The dog, who was lying peacefully near the front door, was ready to spring up and run for the hills, his eyes were bugged out, his mouth was drawn so taught that his jowls looked like crumpled foil torn from a chocolate bunny, and while he usually pins his ears back when nervous; this occasion, I believe his ears had actually crossed behind his skull, left ear on the right side, right ear on the left side.  I left the dinning room and rounded into the kitchen to find the oven door blown open. 

It is an Easter Miracle! 
The pseudo-sacrament of the empty tomb! 
Just as the women found the stone sealing the tomb of Christ unexpectedly rolled away that Easter morn, I too found the sealed oven holding corned beef brisket unexpectedly open.  I peered inside the now open oven and beheld a brisket arrayed in dazzling silver (i.e. wrapped in aluminium foil).  The nature of most of the miracles recorded in the Gospels is that those seeking the Kingdom of God see and comprehend the miracles, while those doubting the power of God continue in skepticism and miss the signs of God at work.  Was I visited by angel?  Was this a sign?  While I believe in the empty tomb and the resurrection; I think several cups of wine mixed with 3/4 cups brown sugar set at 425 degrees (F) creates explosive alcohol vapors, but does not an angel visitation make.

I poked a few holes into the shroud of foil and resealed the oven door.  A few minutes later, the same phenomena, only less intense.  But, still enough to send the dog trotting discretely upstairs, far from the Exploding Easter Happening.

Pyrotechnics aside, everything did get cooked and set before our family table of three pilgrims.  Our pascal Feast included:
  • Corned Beef Brisket (cooked with drama)
  • Garden Fresh salad of lettuce & tomatoes (picked from the garden moments before)
  • Artichokes
  • Asparagus
  • Rice Pilaf
  • Fresh baked Focaccio Bread
  • Strawberries
  • Riesling wine & "Red Stuff" (Cranberry juice + 7-Up)
  • Dessert (from the Easter Basket): Jelly beans, rock candy, M&M's, Chocolate Bunny & Angel food Cake
We feasted on fine food, gave thanks for all that we have been given and celebrated God's Grace.

Jesus loves me, this I know --
But I am not so sure about that Easter Bunny



No comments: