Sunday, April 17, 2011

Heartbreak Hotel

Heartbreak Hotel -- Fort Worth Hilton

Elvis sings of about dwelling at the end of Lonely Street in Heartbreak Hotel where;
Now, the bell hop's tears keep flowin'
And the desk clerk's dressed in black
Well, they been so long on Lonely Street
They'll never ever look back.

My Good Idea:
With our actual factual wedding anniversary date spoken for with other commitments (see: Connecting Dots & Connecting Stripes; April, 2011); my good idea was to postpone the celebration of our 25th Anniversary for about 15 days to coincide with a four-day empty nest.  Grant would be out of town for 4-days playing with his high school orchestra at the Panama City, Florida Music Festival (see: The Music Man; April, 2011), we empty nesters could really celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary over a multi-day stretch.

Bride and Groom discussed possibilities, and decided that since Sue has Friday's off, we could get a room Thursday night in Fort Worth, visit some international caliber art museums and enjoy some of the many cultural attractions and restaurants within walking distance around our downtown hotel.  Our planned date coincided with the big Main Street Arts Festival.  We tried to book online with Hilton Honors Points, but found the Hilton all booked up on 14th.

My Good Idea - Plan B:
Rather disappointed that Plan A did not work out, I made reservation for the following Thursday, April 21. We could still do a Friday Fling, tour and dine as originally planned, but the empty-nest weekend around the house would be preempted by Grant's return to our family. Our son would be able to take care of the dog in our absence. Reservations were made online, points were awarded for booking a room 1 week after we really wanted it. "Be flexible" - it has given us a good 25 years.

My Good Idea - Plan C:
Plan C looks a lot like Plan A.  It was suggested that I keep trying to book a room online for the 14th, in case there were any cancellations.  And try I did.  On Tues. afternoon, the 12th, my reservation for 1 Room (non-smoking) with 1 Bed (King size) were confirmed.  I emailed the bride at work that we were good to go on the 14th - back to Plan A!  This is what we wanted and persistence paid.

After a very bad day and too long of a day at work for Sue, things were mostly put back together and she came home and finished packing.  We were free and the problems of our day were in our rear view mirror. 
Except for the delay in front of us because some bozoita was texting and ran her car into the concrete median barrier and shut down all lanes of traffic.  Once rerouted off the highway and around the single-car smash-up, we were free and the problems of our day were in our rear view mirror.
Except for the minor difficulty in navigating the one-way streets in Ft. Worth as well as having many blocks closed to traffic for the Main Street Festival.  Once we did some zigging and zagging, we found were free and our problems were in our rear view mirror.
Except that when I walked to the front desk and told the clerk that the Sunesons were checking in, she began to twitch and strain her face muscles and motioned for the manager to come to her computer while she continued to punch various keys.  I had left the rear view mirror with the valet service, so it now appeared to me that we had another problem in front of us.

"I am sorry Mr. Suneson, but all that we have for you tonight is a room with 2 queen beds, is that all right?"
No, I said sternly, I have confirmed reservations for a room with a single king bed.  Well, she said that they could sent us to another motel 12 miles north of downtown that has a king bed.  No, we have confirmed reservations for downtown, so we could walk to several of our venues around downtown; it is unacceptable to find my confirmed reservation are not being honored.

Meanwhile, a father, mother and daughter where in heated discussions with another clerk fumbling with the computer next to our clerk's.  While I was furiously insisting on having my reservation honored, I took in part of the the other family's dilemma; they were just in from Omaha, had reservations at the Hilton so they could check their daughter into one of the local universities (Texas Christian Univ.) - only they we being told that there was no room available for them, despite their confirmation number.  Voices were being raised in stereo across the front desk.  The Omaha family insisted on an explanation, and was told, "Hotels, like the airlines, are allowed to overbook, in expectation that some times people will cancel their reservations, so this is what happen to you and why you do not have a room tonight."  Wrong answer.  Mother was almost in tears, daughter was upset and the clerk was fortunate to still have her head connected.

Sue and I stepped back from the front desk to counsel among ourselves and consider our options.  As we stepped back from the polished cherrywood counter, which was now acting as an insufficient barrier between young cowering clerks facing an uncertain future at the hands of frothing angry families, another party stepped into where we were just standing.  They were part of a wedding party booked at the Hilton and were told that, true, they did not have a room despite having reservations.  The howling along the front desk was now moving beyond stereo and was on the level of Dolby THX Surround Sound.  "Oh my!" belched the woman in the wedding party, "and Claire hasn't checked in yet either, and she is THE BRIDE!  Did you give away her room too!?"  No, no, the Bride has a room; but sorry we have overbooked....

My Great Idea:
If a football coach kicks a successful field goal and puts 3 points on the score board, but then benefits from a penalty on the play that would give him a second shot at scoring a touch down for 6 points; the coaching maxim is, Never Take Points Off the Board.  Keep the  lesser but certain outcome.  I had earlier in the week received an email from the Hilton asking me to confirm or cancel my reservation on the 21st (Plan B).  I did neither.  I was not going to give up anything until I knew it was of no value. Don't take points off the board.

Since we had to go to Plan B and reserve the date of April 21, rather than our preferred April 14 date; I actually had two Hilton reservations in play.  My idea of holding all my cards until the last possible moment in the event I would have to play them if things took a bad turn, was in hindsight a great idea.

My Brilliant Idea:
From our out-of-earshot distance in the middle of the lobby, I watched the small band of huddled clerks and their stressed manager acting as if they were gazelles surround by cheetahs that were about to verbally rip them to pieces by scowls, snarls and letters to the management.  With no appeasement possible for their disappointed and angry guests, I returned to the front desk and beckoned the manager.  I told her that their policy and minimal offer of putting us up north of town was not at all acceptable.  But, I do have a valid reservation for next week and I will give up our room tonight with its 2 beds, to this family (from Omaha) if you upgrade my next week's reservation and cut the price.  With obvious relief and a sigh of salvation, she said we would have an Executive Suite and then added a complimentary breakfast to the package, she would take off $100 from the quoted rate for our original room.  She wrote her name and personal number on sheet of paper and confirmed our reservations and comps for next week, "call before you arrive and I will personally make sure everything is in order".  The Omaha family rushed over and thanked us profusely and shook my hand heartily and wished us both a happy anniversary.

That settled.  We wandered down Main Street at 9 PM, found Mi Cocina with a patio.  I ordered two margaritas as we poured ourselves into our patio chairs awaiting an order of Carne Asada and Bacon wrapped Shrimp Brochettes. 
"Say, Love, was today more stressful than your wedding day?" 
"My wedding day was fun!  This day has been a grind."
We drained our margaritas and drove back to Dallas in a hail storm, but my bride was asleep from the margarita and a long day. 
A more than a long day's worth of problems were now in our rear view mirror.  This time I mean it. 

I tucked her into bed and suggested we kick off a celebration tomorrow once this day is behind us.

No comments: