Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Skagit Saltwater Flats



I belong in the Pacific Northwest. 

I have found my place under the blue sky of July, cerulean salt waters edged with verdant shore grasses mimicking the waves beyond the dun sand bars rising from the shallows at the mouth of the Skagit River.

The narrow farm road, bordered by deep drainage ditches ends at the levee. A few signs atop the berm instruct visitors of proper conduct in this salt marsh preserve. At our feet are a couple of muddy paths leading between and through wild rose bushes and out into the tall grasses rippling in the light breeze. A bare earth trail beckons adventure and the stone hill remnants, like a fortress in the middle distance, mark the objective at the end of our march. Sue, Inga and I are off, down the seaward side of the levee walking beyond the farmland behind us and into the wild landscape that is subject to flood tides at the verge of land and sea, permanently claimed by neither.



Some paths lead into muck; more mud than water in some reaches, more water than mud in others. There are starts in one direction, only to find the chosen way not kind to our passing. We backtrack and wade through another route.

Our reward is a spectacular vista as we climb a conglomerate outcrop brimmed with roses shrubs and saltmarsh brush. The shallow saltwater channel before us sparkles under the summer sun and I am surprised by the blue of the water as I expected murky, sediment laden waters. Sea birds call and circle above. A few other adventurers and their canine companions are on the broad sand beach at the sound's edge. I feel the beauty of this place soak into my hide. I feel radiant and blessed to be here.

We descent from our solid, rocky high ground, kick off our shoes and walk in the fine sand following the tide's retreat.


The Cascade Range foothills are out in the clear air, circled by intriguing clouds. Mount Baker is behind us and the world of sky, mountain, beach and saltwater rings and sings with harmony.










Mother and daughter enjoy their visit and I enjoy all that is mine and before me.

I belong here.

Come join me.

No comments: