Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Good Dirt

 Some girls just want to get dirty. 

A couple of those kind of girls happened to be staying with me out in the country where we have 50 acres of good dirt. My wife, Sue, grew up on this very parcel of good dirt and she knows it well. You might say the Pilchuck soil is in her veins. Our daughter Inga, from inside her second floor Portland apartment wishes for a little bit of earth to plant a few of her favorites. The two of them had a few packets of flower seeds and the will to do a little country girl down and dirty therapy.

Sue and Inga get ready to dig dirt


I wanted marigolds to line the recently poured curvy front walk and ramp. Inga had acquired some wild flower seeds and wanted to give them a place to put down roots on the Pilchuck. Baker Seeds supplied my marigolds seeds in a jiffy quick delivery and with the sun out and planting season already far along, it was time for the girls to get into the dirt.


They planted. 

I watered and waited in their absence.




Of the 100 marigold seeds Sue planted for my enjoyment, only 3 germinated. And being late in the season, these marigolds did not reach their blooming potential until October.

I got one bloom for one day before the first frost finished off my memories of summer.








+++

Short-lived memory of summer. My single marigold bloomed in October for 1 day before it was killed by the 1st frost. Next season...


No comments: