Monday, December 19, 2022

White on the Outside, Warm on the Inside


 Inside looking out.

In a week comes Santa Clause. Now comes the Santa weather from the North Pole.



I have moved from the travel trailer parked under the grove of fir and cedar trees and into the house. Many details to yet to be installed to make this house a home, but the necessities of hot running water, a bed and most of a real kitchen are in place. And there was much rejoicing in my change of fortune.



Just in the Saint Nick of time, I settled in inside as the snow began to settle on the evergreen branches outside my window. It is better to be inside looking out than outside looking into the house, as was my fortune last year.

I have heat and air conditioning with an energy efficient heat pump, but also plenty of alder and proto-firewood all about my 50 acres that will feed my wood burning stove in the cozy chimney corner of my living room. 



The trailer under snow, a view of my erstwhile abode. Happy to be warm inside the new house.

Last winter brought several snowfalls from Christmas through February. Accumulations got to 14-inches and the house was yet to be dried-in, so my subflooring became an ice rink, unfit for habitation, fit only for dreaming of the day when I could be inside looking out. That day arrived December 14, 2022.

I sing, "Let it snow, let is snow, let it snow." I invite my wife in Texas to come on up, telling her, Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful...

She promises I can pick her up on Christmas Day. I can't to wait to sit with her  by the fire as we conspire. It will be fun to unwrap her, my Christmas gift, as we play the Eskimo way. 

Day...

...and Night


No comments: