Sunday, December 18, 2022

A Visit form Ol' Saint Nick

 The stockings were hung with the greatest of care,

In hopes that Saint Nick soon would be there...



Looking for a bit of Holiday Good Cheer, if not a bit of Christmas magic; I put up a 6' Douglas Fir Christmas Tree in my otherwise vacant living room. I am making attempts to create some sense of normality and hominess after 14 months of a life filled full with disruptions. 

Living in isolation in a small travel trailer on our 50 acres sometimes wears me out and I lose track of the dream, even though it is just yards away in the form of a slowly rising to completion dream home. This season I like to look at the live tree I set inside my unfurnished house and dream of having my own stand of Christmas Trees to be harvested from our land and shared among kith and kin in Christmases to come. I believe at 65 it is still good to have Christmas dreams, just like ones I had years ago when I was 5.

It has been a difficult year in large part. However, with a change in season, I am striving to change the dismal attitude that descends upon me in these parts. What better way to improve one's demeanor than to assume the mantle of Kris Kringle, Dear ol' Saint Nick and become the embodiment of Father Christmas?

I've got the Santa vibe going, more by happenstance than by a purposeful channeling of the inner Jolly Old Elf. Since I've been otherwise engaged and have not seen fit to get out and get my hair cut for months, I have grown to look like a classic Santa if I don the conical red cap (otherwise, maybe I resemble the Norse god Odin). Some cynics may suggest I look more like the homeless drifters on the streets of Seattle. However, I do enjoy rocking the epic, natural and totally organic 'Santa beard'. 

The weather is doing its part to bring along the North pole vibe as well. Snow showers throughout the day today (Sunday, December 18, 2022) with snow in the forecast for several more days. I am expecting just normal rain by the time Christmas arrives in a week.

Let it also be known that I am not so concerned about hanging stockings with care; rather I am more concerned about getting the basement leak fixed, the flooring installed, the plumbing finished and some furniture moved inside the new house and assembled. It's always something, hobgoblins of building and maintenance know no holiday. 

Christmas is only a week away and we are much behind schedule. At the top of my Wish List is to have a real bed inside the house for Sue and me to sleep on when she arrives on Christmas Day. 

Second on the long Wish List is to have the indoor plumbing complete. I was hoping for an early Christmas, imploring Santa to bring me indoor plumbing when he came down the flue, instead it was the plumber who came down with the flu. Gratification delayed. Is Saint Nickolas really a Calvinist?

    ***    ***     ***

Dear Santa, 

I've been a very good boy all year living up here by myself. So please consider that I need a Master BR sinks and plumbing for my basement BR luxury bathtub, toilet and sinks. As you know they were supposed to be installed last Thursday.

                                                        Merry Christmas to you and the elves,

                                                                Mark

***

Third on the Wish List is for the shower and tub enclosures to be installed. The Christmas miracle for a complete bathroom is looking just like that - a miracle. 

Nothing is easy when it comes to building this house. The tankless water heater was installed and I was told, "You'll love this, you will never run out of hot water." However, soon after installation, when I tried to fill the guest bathtub with hot water to sooth my aching muscles, I got only ice cold water and the beeping alarm on the tankless water heater flashing "Code 12". Once the plumber returns, he will need to fix Code 12 and get me into hot water again. Interesting that I do have hot water coming out of the shower in the Master Bedroom [for that I am thankful]. Go figure. Nothing is easy or simple.

Troubles not withstanding, I am grateful for two flush toilets indoors, some hot water and now a working refrigerator. 

The Spirit of Christmas -
a lit tree fits my bay window perfectly

Of course, Santa Baby now living up here close to the North Pole, is most excited to welcome Mrs. Clause arriving via Alaska Airlines from Texas to Seattle on Christmas Day. She should make everything better.

I'll put her at the top of my Wish List and let the rough side drag for all of the other punch list items.

It's getting to feel a lot like Christmas 'round here!

Merry Christmas and to all a Good Night!





Outside looking in. My Christmas house.







2 comments:

Donna said...

I love your new house exterior! You have a house!!! We would love to see pictures of the inside. Have you made any decisions about the future? Do you have hot water everywhere? How is the weather?

I hope the Christmas family gathering has renewed your vision and given you the focus you need to complete the house build and begin the next phase of life. I know exactly what you mean by losing track of the dream. At least your dream is on a beautiful piece of land. I'm surprised by how much I miss having a piece of land that is our oasis in the madness of life. Right now it looks like our house in Ponder will close late February. Then we will be living Elbow to elbow with our neighbors. I'm struggling to look forward to that. Take care, dear friend, and we will look forward to visiting you in your new castle. Much love from me and Kirby.

Donna said...

PS: would love to see a floor plan!