Monday, February 14, 2022

Little House in the Big Woods - What was Once in the Abstract is Now in the Concrete

Was it a dream? 

A vision? 

A fantasy?

I can say, "Yes, it was." 

I can't say when or how it came to be; nor do I recall if it was a flash of sudden insight, or more likely, a slow metamorphosis of an abstract idea. 

I wanted duality, contrast, balance. I wanted it to feel sensual, a uniting of the feminine and the masculine. A wedding of soft curves and clean, hard lines. I wanted it to be a place that captured my interests and stroked my curiosity. I wanted it to drawn in friend, family and visitors with an inviting sense of whimsy and a hint of mystery.

It was intentional in many ways, but its form has been modified by required building codes and practical construction advice. The process has been fluid.

The home that was once dreamed of in the abstract is now in the concrete

 

 

It takes 6 Cubic Yards to cement a dream

What was once in my mind held only in the abstract of loose-knit concepts has now taken on form in the concrete.

 

Basement slab is repaired after plumbing is installed

 

Finishing crew fills support post holes


 

 

Pouring the basement patio

I think this is not the way most men build a house. I feel this is the way that I end up building a house. What fun to slip from dream and fantasy in the abstract to the concrete form of cement, wood, nails and glass. 

It has been an enjoyable journey.

No comments: