Sunday, February 12, 2017

Oh That Bogged Down, Sinking Feeling

We've all been there.  Maybe more often than we care to admit.  You know, when you get that flash of a thought, "I should take care of that - before it gets worse", right?  Then, you have that regretful conversation a little later, hopefully with only yourself, when you say, "Self: You dunderhead! Why didn't you take care of that when you first thought of it?"  Ah, but painfully and a touch too often the conversation includes someone else (like maybe your wife).  The 'someone else' shakes their head metaphorically once that little ignored hint of trouble becomes a worse problem that demands attention NOW. That's when the conversation ends with an implied, "I told you so".

I joined AARP thinking maybe we could get a break on lodging when we travel, a discount on Denny's Grand Slam B'fast and perhaps some insight on health insurance.  As a result of my AARP membership I was having just such a conversation with myself, all brought on by a one of those numerous pieces of 'junk mail' that arrive oh so frequently.  As a targeted member of AARP, I was offered a chance to get coverage for repair and replacement for any portion of my water and sewer line between the exterior wall of my house and the city's connection.  I looked over the junk mail offer and thought, "Self: you live in an area with extremely notorious swelling and contracting soil.  As a geologist, you know better than most that this soil can and will wreak havoc on your plumbing and foundation. Self, you know several of your neighbors have already had expensive exterior plumbing repair work, it could happen even to you.  Self, I think you should get this coverage."

That was back in the summer that me, myself and I had that little conversation betwixt us. But I stacked that piece of junk mail that piqued my concern in a pile on my desk with an affirming nod, "You know, you should keep that and think about taking care of yourself for what seems inevitable."  So there it sat, getting further buried with each passing on postman.

Of course, as the wife goes out to get the mail, mostly junk mail from AARP, she mentions to me in early February; "Hey, have you noticed that pool of water by our water meter box?"  Yeah, I did.  I was half expecting that to show up some day.  "Hey, did you ever go and get that water line leak coverage you mentioned awhile back?" [crickets]


A growing tide of unease as water bubbles up around our water meter box.
We begin to host many robins who enjoy the bathing and earthworms forced to the surface.


Each succeeding day, the pool of water gets a bit more expansive.  I go and look for that junk mail flier that I think must still be under one of those paper piles on my desk.  I read the cover letter to me, as a "Dear AARP Member"; it says that my coverage will begin 30 days after approval of my application.  Now, I have that sinking, bogged down feeling that I should have acted months ago, but I didn't.  So, maybe, the water leak is slow enough that I can wait out my 30 day probationary period and then get it fixed.  Oh I hope-I hope-I hope. 

The tide rises perceptibly across our front walk.  The robins are loving this.  They are now always in our boggy front yard bathing and eating the earthworms that are forced up by the sodden sod.  For the robins, 'The Corley Drive Birdbath' is the watering hole to meet, greet and eat.

Is it a leak on my side OR on the city's side of the meter connection.  If it is between the street and the meter, the city has to fix it at their expense. The wife say, "What are the odds it is going to be the city's problem?"  I tentatively suggest 50/50?  She looks at me sympathetically.

Finally I just gotta know.  On Sunday morning, I get down on my knees and baptize my two good hands by immersion.  I bail out the meter box, shut off the valve to the house and watch and listen.  I see a slow gurgling and a flow of water filling the iron box.  Oh hallelujah! It does appear the leak is between our meter and the water main in the street.  I feel as if I had just walked through the parted Red Sea on dry land with Moses and the Children of Israel.  Pharaoh's army and our destruction has been cut off by the waters of the Red Sea, I am delivered.  And since I am already on my knees, I give thanks to the Lord no less fervently than did Noah when he left the ark and stepped onto dry land.

Water, water everywhere; but not a drop on my dime - I think.



No comments: