Monday, February 13, 2017

The Fix is In

Relieved to discover that the leaking water line at our curb belongs to the city, I gave the city water department a call Monday morning to report that THEY have a leak.  Of course she said. "We'll have somebody come out and check that."  And so they did - 1 week later.

Over the course of the next several days, various workmen came by to spray paint lines and glyphs in various colors on our grass and sidewalk and stuck little colored flags in our lawn.  All subterranean cables, pipes and valves duly noted. 

Once the city did check out the leaking situation, they called and left a message with a reference number for us to use should we desire any additional information.  Sue called them using the return phone number and reference given, only to be asked, "And what is this in regards to?"  
   "Well, based on the reference number, I assumed you had on record that this is a water leak."
   "Did you need some one to come out there?"
   "I don't think so - since we just receive a phone message with this reference number."
   "Before they can do any work, they will have to identify and flag any utilities in the area."
   "That has already been done.  We were wondering when the repair work will be scheduled and whether we will be without water for a little while?"
   "That schedule would be up to the foreman."
   "Has this job (see reference number provided) been scheduled?"
   "No. I don' think so.  May next week?"
   "OK, thanks".

Out on my morning constitutional, I ran into Mr. Toner.  He lives on the corner lot on the other side of the block, but he has the storm drain for our street in front of his house.  I ask, Jim, what are you doing out so early?  Without missing a beat, he gruffly answers (with an implied wink); I'm trying to find out who's damn water is running down my gutter and making this mess.  I tell him gladly, that this damn mess is 'City of Garland water'.  He tells me I am lucky [don't I know it], when he had a water leak in his front yard, it cost him $1,700 to fix it.  I said, nope, not me. This is city water, the city's problem.

One morning before going to work, Sue saw a lone city employee standing on our curb.  She opened the door and asked if today was the day the leak was going to be repaired?  Well, he was expecting to meet a crew here, but I guess they are not going to show.  I'll have to see when we will take on this job.  Have good day.

But wait.  You and your crew will be here someday soon, right?

Yes mam. The fix is in.





   

No comments: