Friday, September 23, 2016

Curse of a Good Neighbor

Rumbmbmbm - putt - putt -puttt - puttt - cfghcfgh cough

The sound of my machine as I push it across by back 40 over an assortment of bermuda, dallis and crab grass and other species classified as weeds.  I had just finished cutting the green stuff in the alley and along the side yard when I see good neighbor Steve sauntering up my driveway.  I cut the engine, as I know I am about to be engaged in an extended "over-the-fence" chat.  

Steve opens the conversation, "When are you going to let me fix the choke on your mower?"  Steve, a fix-it guy extraordinaire, now retire from a telecommunications career, and former star employee at Home Depot; apparently can not bear to listen to my struggling mower engine any longer from his home across the alley.  I stammer like a lawn mower with bad carburation - "Would you do that for me?"

Steve takes a baleful glance at my machine and drops his diagnosis on me, "Sounds like you're not getting a good mix of oxygen in your engine."
Have you changed the air filter?"
I blush and say, "No".
"Have you changed your oil?"
I blanch and say, "No".

Steve bends down and disassembles the cover over my air filter and holds it up in the sunlight; no light comes through the dust and grease choking off the pores.  Steve looks disapprovingly at the sludgy air filter in his hand, then tells me to start the engine.  I pull the start chord and the engine comes to life with a noticeably smoother purr.

I tell Steve he has now shamed me into doing proper maintenance.  Steve says he is not here to shame me, but recommends a trip to Home Depot where I can find air filters to fit most models of mowers.

In my shame, I follow Steve advice and install a new, clean air filter.  I now burn a lot less fuel and me and my machine now hum the hymn of a suburban homeowner as I traverse the green, green grass of home on each and every weekend. 

No comments: