Sunday, March 6, 2016

It Sure Smells Like Dinner at 4:20

We never really had much a winter here in the Dallas area this year.  Spring seemed to creep up on us around February.  Come early March, I was feeling rather mellow (quite right) and I thought my eyes caught sight of a hazy green look to the air.  This is totally a far out trippin' kind of look in my backyard.  I attribute the hazy atmospherics to the first day or two when the leaves on the trees first start to bud, leaving no discernible leaf shapes but just a hint of a green aura around the still dominant view of the bare branches.

Feeling the need to munch, I rolled out my charcoal grill to the back deck and lit the coals for a couple of thick porch chops for dinner.  On the way through the patio door out to the back deck, I passed a bowl of dried herbs that my wife had sitting on the counter top for the past several months.   I though, "Wow dude!  Wouldn't those dried herbs be real fine if I hand-rubbed them over the grilling meat, adding an herbal savor to the pork chops?"  So I did.

As I rolled the dried basil between the palms of my hands, inevitably some of the now finely crushed basil drifted into the heated updrafts emanating from the red hot coals and was immediately incensed.  There was no mistaking the aroma from the burning of the powdery herbs; it was the smell of a rock concert (or so I am told).  I wondered if botanically speaking, basil is related to cannabis?  You know, mary jane and her wacky weed.

It was time to serve the grilled herb pork chops, and so I brought them in and set on the table between to two of us.  I helped myself to the first moist and tenderly grilled entree.  Sue took the remaining chop and asked with an eyebrow raised, "Humm, what did you put on the meat?"  I replied casually, "cannabis".  She said, it sure smells like it.

It was already half-past seven o'clock, but I am sure dinner is being served at 4:20 somewhere.

No comments: