Sunday, July 26, 2015

Could it be... Satan?

While doing some work in the Kitchen on Tuesday, I was pestered by three flies buzzing around in a most annoying fashion.  I pulled my 12 gauge fly-swatter from the utility closet hook and I proceeded to whomp on those insects.  I killed the 3 pest in short order - or so I thought.  Maybe I missed with my swat once or twice, because there were 2 more flies landing on the cutting board.  I again took aim and swung my swatter.  That should do it.

Until I was preparing for bed, and there were yet again two flies in the master bathroom sink area.  I dispatched them without my corrective lenses.  

Come Wednesday morning, maybe five flies or more in the kitchen.  "Honey, have you noticed the infestation of flies in our house?"  Of course.  Sue raises the blinds that are keeping the hot Texas July sun rays out of our dining room, and we find a score of flies butting into the window glass on the inside.  We take turns whacking away as their little black exoskeletons pile up on the floor, windowsill, and dining room table.  This swat team action goes on for a day.  Maybe 40, 60, 70, 80 or more as we are quickly racking up the score.  The fly swatter rips after such extreme use, but it is our most effective weapon to deliver us. We're going to need a bigger swatter.

Sue uses a spray can of wasp-killer recently acquired to spray around the outside of the window.  I allow her to do it, but I predict that the wasp and hornet killer is formulated for the hymenoptera order of insects, not our current insect pest, and therefore will not staunch the flow of pesky flies.  Besides, I suggest, these flies must be coming from inside, not outside.  The debate rages, the logic of each argument is presented.  

Mark:  I say, With this quantity of flies already inside the house, the maggots must be coming from somewhere inside, no way would all of these vermin be getting in from outside".  Look within if you seek the truth.

Sue:  "Well, OK then, where is the corpse?  The Writ of Habeas Corpus demands that if you are make such accusations, you should be able to produce the body, where is it?"  These flies must be coming from the outside and entering through a crack in the external masonry.  Not from decaying flesh inside our own walls.

Is the source of the plague of flies coming from within or without?  The debate rages, while we swing away, dropping ever more exoskeletons to the floor.

Or... could there be another explanation?  Let's check the internet for wisdom.  Of course, why din't we think of this before?  Flies are known to be a harbinger of Satanic presence. The obvious answer is that it is so hot in Texas now, that Satan himself feels right at home here in Texas.  The Lord of the Flies.

Up until now, I presumed the fire ants were the state insect of Hell, they are certainly demonic; but I guess flies can follow along with Hell's demons too.

Glad to say Satan and his flies have now gone away.  We are enjoying the angelic bliss of working A/C and few of the six-legged winged misery bugs.

No comments: