Saturday, March 7, 2015

Make it Stop

It was a dark and stormy night.  
I cleaned up the kitchen and pressed the button to started the dishwasher into action.  Now, Sue is inspired to do something fancy-special in the kitchen.  So she goes about messing up the newly cleaned up kitchen work space.  

She selects a recipe for a rich chocolate on chocolate tort.  The basal layer of a crunchy chocolate scone, piled with chocolate mousse and covered with marionberry & chocolate cake.  Set the timer and wait.

The chocolate tort comes out of the oven.  The layers are assembled and she carves me a piece to indulge my sweet tooth.  It is rich and oh so good.  Eat too much at once and die - but what a way to go!

While in the process of baking one of the layers, she yellers upstairs to where I am slaving on taxes; "Hey, remember awhile back when we couldn't get the timer on the microwave to stop beeping?  Well, it is doing it again.  Do you remember how to make it stop?"

Truth is, we did have this issue maybe 2 years ago.  And as I recall, I logically figured out how to make the beeping stop.  I was a hero.  But, this time, I stare at the control panel of the micro wave - and nothing I try makes the beeping stop.  

24 Hours a Day.  Every bleeping minute. There it goes again, every 60 seconds; a piercing "beeep".  I look, I think, I try everything.  I unplug the microwave oven and yet it continues it relentless attack like a beheaded serpent.  Beeep. Beeep.  Beeep.

After a couple of days, Sue returns to the internet.  Google: "Incessant beeping, microwave."  Google fails us.  
Fall back position; Whirlpool Appliance Helpline, "Can I help you?"
No mam, I've never heard of that before. 
Have you tried unplugging the appliance?  
Let me ask around. [pause for several minutes to mix 'on-hold muzak' with background beeping]  
Sorry mam, nobody around here has ever hear of that problem, sorry and good luck.  

We discuss our dilemma after dinner.  I figured this out before - why can't I make it stop this time.  What did I do last time?  This is driving me loco.

We discuss our failure to make it stop out loud while I head to the microwave panel one more time.  I say while en-route,  "What if it ISN'T the microwave?!"
The wife yells, "It's the damn dishwasher!!!  Get it!"

Sue had opened the dishwasher to retrieve a needed implement while baking the tort, prior to the appliance finishing its cycle.  There it sat with a malicious 'one-eyed green light' glowing at the end of the counter; beep, beep, beep...

We reset the dishwasher panel and collapsed in peace. 

Always check your assumptions.  As it it said, to assume is to make an ass of u & me.  Now, how about another piece of that triple chocolate tort.  I can eat it and die in peace.

No comments: