Monday, December 29, 2014

This is Christmas 2014

We usually get a bit of decent December weather sometime in the middle of the month.  This is nature's way of signaling me that I need to stoke up my ambition an hang those old C-9 exterior Christmas lights on the eaves, yes, the ones I inherited from my parents.  The very ones that were hung on my house in gaudy 70's.  These lights are 40 years old!  I lay out the strings on the grass and plug them in before hanging them up.  This year, another string fails to carry the current to light up.  I salvage the blue and green bulbs and throw that old wire string away.  As I am half way across the first window peak with my decorating efforts, Jane from two doors down, stops at the curb and pokes fun of my high-wire act and effort.  She suggests that I could get a modern set of lights and just easily throw them on my bushes.  Easy Peasy.  I tell her, even the Cratchet family made an effort to celebrate Christmas.  But as she pulls away, I have to ask myself; who am I trying to impress? 


Suneson's Christmas Home - The way it is supposed to look
Back when all of the light strings functioned


Perhaps on some small part there is the tug of obligation to the civic religion to have one's house decorated for Christmas (I've heard even some Jewish families feel this obligation); at least I can honestly embrace roots of Christmas.  Who wants to have a 'Bah Humbug' house? - as our neighbors back in the 60's self proclaimed their house.  But I think that this year, mostly with both kids coming back home late in the Christmas Season, I mostly wanted the place to look kind of like old times.  So, the peaceful blue and green bulbs softly shine through the dark nights of Advent - and will purposely do so through the 12th Day of Christmas, January 6.

Grant had arrive the week before Christmas with Kaileen from Mizzou.  She spent 2 nights and a day with us before Grant drove her on to her home north of Houston, Grant returning the following day.  Inga had a week with us, arrivng at the stroke of midnight on the 20th at Love Field in Dallas.

Sister and Brother made plans to go have BBQ in Fort Worth.  Other than that, it was generally hang around the house, do some shopping, check social media.

Below are a few photos of the Suneson's 2014 Christmas:


Strider lays before the kitchen door watching his pack
Inga, long gone from the pack, tries not to drop her laptop
while stepping over the old dog


Inga helps with dinner


All of the stockings were hung with care...


Sue with a spot of tea comes to join her daughter
before the mid-winter blaze


Grant pulls a few Santa goodies from his stocking
Christmas Day


Stider is discombobulated to find a cat residing under the Christmas Tree


Grant checks out the label of a Portland specialty bres
A gift from his Portlandian Sister


Inga is amused by what is revealed
once the wrapping paper is removed
Christmas Morning


Sue collects another Laura Ingalls-Wilder book
while modeling her gift infinity scarf


Inga & Sue roll up this year's Christmas Dinner Dessert
A Buche de Noel (trans from French as 'Yule Log') -
a light cinnamon cream filled ginger sponge cake roll 


Inga and Grant
Home for Christmas, 2014

No comments: