Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Team Slytherin - Sunrise Reptiles

What will tip the scales to get me to slither out of bed early on Saturday morning?  A live reptile show at the Perot Museum of Science!  For heaven's snakes - I can't hiss this opportunity!  

If I were at Hogwarts, the sorting hat would definitely place me in the House of Slytherin.

Mark gets a hug from a colorful Corn Snake
Snakes give me that warm-fuzzy feeling


The newly opened Perot Museum in downtown Dallas was offering a chance to see the "Unhuggables" - a show featuring reptiles and a tarantula; and as charted members of the museum, we had "Members Only" access from 8:30-10 that Saturday morning.  I had to strike while the opportunity was here.  We rode the DART train into downtown and hiked a few blocks to spend the morning with live reptiles and some that were extinct.


Sue handles Rosie - a Rosy Boa
 
A Corn Snake goes over Mark's shoulder to check out
the skeleton of the extinct dinosaur at the museum's entrance


We toured a few other floors, took a peek at the workings of the solar system and cosmos, and then a visit to see the mosasaurs and other reptiles that inhabited the Cretaceous Seaway, shallow continental sea that covered what is now Dallas just 94 million years ago. 

A large Cretaceous turtle (the size of a Volkswagen)
that was excavated just east of Dallas

Later, we filed into the auditorium to watch The Unhuggables - Lizard Tales and Creature Feature; lots of kids for the show that was aimed at them, but I included myself among the enthusiastic kids, only I sat in a chair and not on the floor upfront.  And I did not volunteer to go up and hold one of the creatures, even though I wanted too.  Mr. C (the emcee) pulled from various crates, a Mexican King Snake, a Chilean Rosy Tarantula, an African Spurred Tortoise and an African Spiny Hedgehog, a Blue-Tongued Skink from Australia and a Burmese Python that was missing some of its pigment.

What a good morning!


I want Mr. C's Job
Leminy - A Burmese Python (with albinism)



I decided that if I didn't get some lunch, I'd end up looking like this guy above.  So we head out to the food trucks at the new city park a few blocks away. 


See if they have any Corn Snacks - I don't know where that craving came from

No comments: