Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tales of Time and Travel v9.1: Morocco via Denver

Quick!  What'd you have for lunch yesterday?
OK. How about for dinner last Tuesday?

Deep thought #88: Food is one thing all people have in common.  Wow!

But, realistically now, is it not hard to name everything we have recently consumed?  I only mention all of this in contrast to what I rank as my most memorable meal I've ever had; it was late summer of 1986, we were newly weds living in Denver and we decided one night to dine at Mataam Fez - a Moroccan restaurant.  My bride and I walked in to the darkened interior off of Colfax Avenue and reclined upon voluptuous ottomans at a low table and feasted on a five-course meal while I exchanged wits with a jovial Moroccan waiter who was talented enough to pour hot tea into a cup balanced on the tip of his pointed slippers and then punt the tea cup into the air and catch it at its apex and then serve it without a drop being spilt.  He then indicated I was about to get my come-uppence and proceeded to pour hot tea from a great height into a cup he had placed upon my head.  No harm, No foul (and a big tip).  Even without the advertised belly dancers, we had a most memorable time dining at Mataam Fez - the most entertaining meal ever.

The years have passed, I've had steak tartar in Warsaw, Poland; I've eaten fish and chips beside the Tower of London; I've had crawfish etoufee in Louisiana, but I hold that evening in 1986 at Mataam Fez as the best.  With the last stop of our epic journey scheduled for Denver I wrestled with the question: Could great times be duplicated?  Or, should one just let fine memories rest undisturbed in the crenelations of the mind?  I must try, and therefore I asked my niece Lisa, who was to host us at her apartment that night, to make reservations for the Mataam Fez.

I initially suggested dinner at 7, but with our late start out of Arches National Park (chronicled earlier); I texted Lisa and re-suggested that our reservations be moved back to 8 - and it was going to be close.  Darting east along I-70, the traffic volume picked up considerably past Grand Junction as we ascended the pass at the top of the Rocky Mountains, and on the other side were the Atlas Mountains that would bring us to Morocco and a fine meal.  We found Lisa's place and I and Grant in turn, dashed under the showerhead to rinse the sweat, dust and salt from our bodies before dinner as if we had arrived at an oasis after a long camel caravan.  Since our SUV was crammed full of gear, the best option was for Lisa to take the three of us the few blocks over to Colfax for dinner at the Mataam Fez - I was hoping it would not disappoint after my stories of delight shared with Grant and Lisa.

We were seated at a low table in a heavily carpeted room, with rugs hanging from the walls, and we each chose a large pillow on which to recline for our five course meal.  We were to choose an entree from the menu, and the other courses would be supplied.  We draped a clean white linen cloth over our left shoulder and as we extended our hands to the center of the table as instructed, our host poured warm water over our fingers and palms above a communal bowl.  Once our hands were cleansed, we began with no utensils and fed ourselves in the traditional hand-to-mouth style, beginning with Harira soup.  Next was a salad of shredded carrots, raisins and a sampler of humas, olives and assorted vegetables.  Then it was a chicken-filled pastry, thin and flaky B'stella before our entree was served.  I ordered the lamb with artichoke, and my two companions also had a lamb dish.  The end of the meal, we were again refreshed with a washing of rose-scented water before the dessert of fruit slices and mint tea.  This time, the tea was poured from a pot into a glass balanced on our waiter's crooked elbow, and once the glass was filled with hot tea, he whisked the glass off his elbow and flipped it upside down and then back around rightside up without spilling.  Impressive - but not as impressive as the feats performed by my waiter back in 1986.

Lisa asked after the meal. if it Mataam Fez had met my lofty expectations the second time through some 27 years later?  I confessed that the first time was much more memorable, as most of our "first times" in life turn out to be.  But, a five course meal that was shared among family and friends was indeed a most pleasant night to behold.  I have no regrets.

Salaam, my friends! 

No comments: