Friday, November 25, 2011

Hung One More Year on the Line

Officer Obie from the Birthday Police showed up in my mailbox to order me to have a "Happy Birthday!"  Followed by a reminder that a birthday is the first day of a 365 day journey around the Sun - so "Enjoy the Journey".  That is indeed my creed.  And so it was done.

Coming so close to Thanksgiving, I doubted anyone would want to leave family to join us for my celebration, if they were even in town.  So, as is often the case, it was a small family affair, but not without flare.  That is flare as in Signal Flare of Warning Flare.  [See photo evidence below]

I had suggested a liqueur type cake, building on the tiramisu from last year.  So, it became a rum cake for this year.  Very good I said, we can skip the numerous candles and just light the whole cake ablaze while everyone sings.  But- noooooo-body listens to me.  There just had to be a candle for every flamin' year.

After a check of our homeowner's policy to be sure we were up-to-date for fire insurance, the ignition became a two-person job in order to get every tiny wax candle lit before A) either there was a puddle of wax on the top of the cake resulting from the first candle having already burned to the point of extinguishment before the last one was lit, or B) the entire house was set on fire.  

The flaming dessert was quickly waltzed into the dining room, where, despite a might wind, I left 8 candles burning on the rim (No wish fulfillment for me).


However, I did receive my two requested addition to this year's reading list, though a divergent lot.  Stuart Diamond's Getting More and Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard.  The latter being a tale of madness, medicine and murder of a president (James A. Garfield).  As it turns out, I am James Garfield's doppelganger.  All the time people stop me and remark how much I resemble Garfield; I ask "Do you mean the cat?"  No! The 20th president of the United States!  Once I ascertain that they are not a 'disappointed job-seeker', I thank them kindly.  I'll get around to reading these new books once I finish Moby Dick, which I pick up this summer.  With 150 pages left in Melville's tome, I have yet to encounter the white whale after 500+ pages.  I has occurred to me that this blog is written in a style similar to Melville's,

James Garfield or Mark Suneson?

The proto-paparazzi once telegramed Cary Grant and asked, "How old Cary Grant?"  The actor replied, "Old Cary Grant fine. How you?"  For those that want to know how old Mark Suneson, I challenge you to count the candles on my rum cake.



HAVE GOOD TIME
and
ENJOY THE JOURNEY


No comments: