Thursday, July 6, 2023

Return to the Wild

 

Standing 6' tall, I'm over topped by an overgrown malicious black berry cane
Return to the wild.

I left my home on the 50 acres along Pilchuck Creek, with construction work still in progress. I have another home and my first wife back in Texas. It is difficult to handle the home duties of two disparate places that are 2,472 miles apart. I can not be in two places at once, so I split my time.

My Texas time, a pleasant three months and a few days with my beloved down south, spanning from St. Patrick's Day through the Summer Solstice had come to an end. I was a called to return and attend to the completion of the house and all the wild wood that encroaches upon it. 

The vegetation surrounding the Washington house had grown vigorously and verdant in the lengthening days of spring and early summer. The place had grown wild in my absence. I fear that the encroaching scenery will cover and consume all of the hard work to carve out a new home on The Pilchuck. Driving through the gate on this late June afternoon, I was stunned by the intensity of the greenery and somewhat demoralized by the savage and aggressive dominance of the cursed black berry sticker vines.

I imagine I can hear the creeping stickers extending their domain at night, pushing their tentacles ever closer to my house, threatening to swallow me up by morning. I look around in the daylight and consider my odds; it seems I am one against a million stickers. My machete blade will never be enough to staunch the green menace. I call for reinforcements.


I survey the view from my deck, I need a mechanical advantage to battle the berries. I call brother-in-law Bob, 35 miles up the road in La Connor, he has a tractor with a brush hog.

The Pilchuck has grown wild. The view from the driveway

Weeds and grass march boldly to my front door












The field daisies are pretty, but I truly need a clear, neatly trimmed field around my house. The forest and field are aggressive and do not welcome my home built in their midst.

Bob, as always, is helpful and is willing to haul his tractor over and spend his time mowing my acreage. I'm very thankful for his willingness to help out. I will need to rent a trailer for him to move his tractor over to the Pilchuck. Some of the best money ever spent I think to myself. Unfortunately, we were coming up on the July 4th holiday, there are no trailers to be had for hire. The mighty mow will be postponed until the following weekend.

I am overwhelmed by the 'before' look of the place. I am looking with great anticipation to the 'after' look once Bob and his tractor work are finished.









No comments: