Friday, May 19, 2023

Bountiful Bouquets in our Blackland Prairie

 The spring of 2023 is an outstanding one for Texas wildflowers. 

I returned to Texas in March and as I often do, I took time to wander out to the city's nearby Holford Nature Preserve, an undeveloped remnant of the blackland prairie, remaining wild along Spring Creek. Holford Preserve is a rarity in these parts, a variety of habitats tucked together with a spectacular flowering meadow developed on thin, black clay soil over Cretaceous limestone. 

The open, hardscrabble landscapes makes for a huge variety of wildflowers that appear in the parade of days from March through early summer.

I thought I'd share a few of my friends living out in the Holford Preserve...

Firewheel cluster


Flowering cactus



A family of Firewheels


Shy lavender forest-dweller


Sue suggests that I should take  photographs of a bunch of these Texas wildflowers and have them printed on cards and sell them on Etsy or somewhere.

I think it is a good idea. I just need to bring a tripod with me and get all of these vernal beauties in focus and find a print shop.

Some day...

 

No comments: