Sunday, March 26, 2023

Leaving Home to Return Home - 4th Day's Journey

 Up in the frosty Gallup morning air, reluctant to burn daylight, I skip breakfast and strap myself behind the wheel.

As a seasoned traveler, I know I can get inexpensive fuel in Childress, TX (at $2/gal cheaper than CA!), so I make it my last fueling stop before Garland. I pull into the pumps at the Walmart outpost way up along the Red River in Texas. 

As I finish calculating my mileage for the last leg driven, a foreign fellow claiming to be "from tourist" asked to speak with me at the pump. He had a wife and kids in the car. Said he'd lost his documents, wallet and papers and needed money to get to LA. His English and hers was pretty good for being "from tourist." He offered me his 'gold' chain and 'gold' ring, demanding I give him $200 or more - he'd repay me double later if I gave him my address. A great deal he insisted. His wife pleaded with me hurry and close the 'deal' to feed her hungry children. 

I told him I don't carry $200 cash and I do not engage in gold jewelry transactions at Walmart gas pumps. He turned to shout at his wife in a foreign tongue. 

I thought I should tell him that in America anyone can call for help using the three numbers 9-1-1. I thought maybe I would call for him and tell the authorities in Childress that a visitor was in trouble and had to sell his gold for cash. 

I figured the sheriff would come and say, "Howdy stranger, us friendly folks in Texas would like to help out a family man in need and get you in touch to recover your documents. But listen up mister, if you is out here kickin' up a thieving ruckus in these parts, we'll hang you."  But I just left with all of my money in my wallet and my self esteem in tact for having not fallen for his scam.

At the other end of my journey from The Pilchuck, I too have still unfinished things down in the Lone Star State. Federal taxes are large and painful this year, complicated by the fact that we are married, filing a joint return with me a resident of Washington, my wife a resident of Texas. I'm hoping to claw back a few of the tax burden my itemizing all of the WA sales tax I've paid in building the house.

Great to be home! I have things to do and have I have the pleasure of getting re-acquainted with my wife. Yet, she has a job, and I have plenty of things to do. Many of which will be neither inexpensive or fun.


No comments: