Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas Wish List

 I call my wife back in Texas, and I ask her, "What do you want to do about Christmas?"

The question is more poignant than ever in 2021, I've been gone for two months.  I have settled into a small trailer to be on site to consult with our contractor as we struggle through supply chain and labor shortages to rebuild the house that burned down five years ago. I expect I will be here well into 2022. It is a necessary, but severely disruptive set of circumstances for me to be isolated out on our 50 acres of woods.

I tell her, "I've got a Christmas gift for you, but it is too big to mail."

"Ooh, what is it?" she asked with piqued curiosity.

I tell her, "It's a surprise. No peeking."

She then asks me, "What do you want for Christmas?"

I am quick with my response, "I want you. And I think you should plan on coming out to Washington to see the Christmas present I have waiting for you under the tree."

We decide, by necessity, 2021 will be a 'different Christmas'. She is busy with her church job through Christmas Eve, then she can come. She decides it is best to fly to Seattle on Christmas Day. I am excited to unwrap our packages on Christmas Day together.

I tell her, "Perfect, I will have this year's gift for you sitting under the tree, waiting for you to come out and see it!"

***

Don't tell her, but when she gets here she will find that I have put a beautiful new house built for her under a giant Douglas Fir Christmas Tree for her Christmas present. I think she'll like it. 

My 2021 Christmas Gift to Sue: A unique snow covered chalet tucked under a giant Christmas Tree


Winter Wonderland waiting for my wife


No comments: