Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Pandemic Playtime: Fredericksburg, Texas

 An invigorating afternoon of exploring the weathered rock formations had to finish with a hike up the smooth, rounded contours of Enchanted Rock and a view of the countryside from the top of the famous pink granite dome.

We can get cell reception at the crest of The Rock. Sue's phone pings with a message from my old housemate Dave, "Will you be able to join us for a bottle of wine at The Last Draw? How does 4 sound?" 

We have time to leisurely descend off the dome, and make the 20 minute drive back to our Fox Burrow Airbnb. The reply is "Yes." We will pick up with Dave and Teri where we left off last night after a great dinner of German food in a town that proudly displays and promotes its German-settler heritage (including hometown to Admiral Nimitz, Commanding the American Naval forces in the Pacific during WW II).   


Teri and I selected the wine after a couple of tastings. Sue and I supplied some raspberries to go with conversation and drink around a flaming outdoor table. If the open flame and outdoor setting doesn't discourage the COVID-19 virus, I hear that the wine will. It was easy to pick up the conversation and exchange past and current events in our lives.

After a bottle, we adjourn for dinner and margaritas, or is margaritas and dinner? Dave and Teri selected a Mexican restaurant on Main Street. They know all the places, but admit they have not been out much at all this year; neither have we.

Outdoor seating is requested on the patio, and we are welcomed on a slow night as the waitstaff works on igniting the towering propane heaters for our comfort as the temperatures drop into the 30's on this clear, first night of December.

We tip well after several bowls of complementary chips and an array of salsas as a prelude to our warm Mexican dishes. We ask that we get a chance to go look at Fredericksburg's city square and their lighted tree display before heading home.

Walking a few block along the old downtown's Main Street with building facades of worked Hill Country limestone block is a pleasant stroll, even as Dave checks his phone and has us guess the current temperature. "It's 36 degrees," he says after we have all over-estimated the temperature. It could be chalked up to the 'Margarita Effect'. 


The city of Fredericksburg had been gifted several years ago by its German sister city with a towering, German Christmas Pyramid. Now a point of civic pride, the Christmas Pyramid is the featured display in the town park.

I was reminded of a much smaller similar display that we had in our house when I was a kid. One was to light candles near its base, and the heat from the flames would catch the vanes at the top and cause the stacked display of characters to spin. This giant one in the city park was not so equipment with giant candles and a commensurate open flame. Now that would have been a sight to see.


We bid one another good night and a Merry Christmas. 

We planned on breakfast in town before we left and it was suggested we try The Old German Bakery. Dave, being retired, asked to join us one more time. It was a delight to eat at the Old German Bakery with Dave, sharing a Belgian waffle and hash browns before we came north on our final leg homeward.

***

Cooper's famous BBQ in Llano had just opened for lunch when we pulled into town. We jogged a few blocks off the highway to buy smoked brisket and half a dozen ribs for our dinner once we were back Garland. One just does not pass up a chance to stick a fork in great barbecue when it comes along. Guan-damn-teed. 

***

Our route home through central Texas had us crossing the heart of Texas pecan country. Pecans are delightful in so many things, especially around the holidays. But I know for a natural fact that my wife makes the best pecan pie that I've ever had - and I have tasted my fair share of pecan pies. 

So we had to stop at Pecans.com's factory warehouse in Goldthwaite to buy a couple of pounds for future use.  One just does not pass up a chance to pick up a pack of great Texas pecan nuts when it comes along. Guan-damn-teed. 

We pulled into our driveway in early dusk, which was the plan; since I didn't want to be driving in the dark with my single headlight. I figured I'd have to get a professional mechanic to find the short and get that repaired as my next immediate task.

+++++

I waited until Saturday to clean the massive amount of sand from Padre Island that had found its way inside the 4Runner. I also thought I'd take one more look at the non-functioning low beam headlight. 

I backed out of the garage just a few feet into the driveway. I cleaned out the car as best I could. I tried to start the car and nothing. Absolute nothing. No clicking starter. No headlights, not even a horn. Dead.

I had my SUV towed on Monday morning. My mechanic had to replace the battery terminals and cables as well as a blown fuse for the headlight. He suspected my battery was leaking acid and it had eaten through my cables.

I was glad to pay him and have a running 4Runner by the end of the day.

I was glad, ever so glad, that this dead SUV did not happen while I was 10 miles down island on Padre Island without cell phone coverage. Life, it's a game of inches and hours sometimes. Old Sandy died in my driveway, not in the sand on the beach 450 miles way down south. She lasted until she brought us home.

We have much to be thankful for. 

Since we skipped town on the real Thanksgiving and skipped a real Thanksgiving meal and family in 2020. We decided to have Thanksgiving with turkey, cranberries, potatoes and (of course) pecan pie on Saturday, December 5th - just for the two of us. It is 2020 - why do things like normal?

Back at home we reflected on our trip and knew we had much to be thankful for.

No comments: