Sunday, March 31, 2019

Snow White Texas Spring

Arriving home on a late Spring day, I turn into the driveway from the back alley and in the light breeze my vision is filled with a flurry of flittering, floculating flakes. The air is filled with white as if I am caught in a late Spring snow shower  - or so it seems.

If I let my imagination run away to the northern latitudes (where I am sure they would not welcome a late March frozen flurry); I can imagine these pure white blossoms being plucked by the breeze from my backyard Moonlight Pear tree as March snow.  My back lawn, alley and the driveway are covered by the small white petals, looking like the driven snow.  Neither pear blossoms, nor a Spring snow in Texas, lasts long.  The winds disperse the petals and they soon wither and shrivel and are not noticed soon after they fall from the branches.  But for a brief and shining white moment, the small world around the pear tree is a surprising sight, a winterish wonderland strewn with snow white petals.

Makes me wonder where have all the flower children and pollinators gone?

Snow white pear blossoms
before they fall into the spring breeze and
cover the world around the tree's roots in white
In a few months we will have some small, hard Moonlight pears
not too good for eating, but they can be cooked into a very sweet,
honey-like compote that goes well with cheese cake


No comments: