Friday, November 30, 2018

Aloha! The Big 5-0h

On the Official (Black Friday) Birthday my presence was delivered to good friends.
My birthday presents would be delivered on Sunday - 3 days after the fact.

I am true believer in delayed gratification.  If I had totally cancelled any and all whispers of a birthday celebration, I would claim full heirship of my Calvinist roots, but I only delayed the gratification; a back-sliding Calvinist I seem to be.

Aloha! The Big 5-0h (+11) was a quiet affair at home.  Every year I get to dream up a custom cake to be baked by my adoring wife after she has done an exhaustive search of the internet for wild pinterest-type baking ideas.  Some of which are half-baked.


This year's dream was for a raspberry infused chocolate cake.  Thrown into the mix of fun ideas, was the baker's itch to use the just acquired set of tiered cake pans from my parent's basement in Montana.  Adoring wife Sue was on it.  She selected a Norwegian cream cake with raspberry filling between each of the tiers.

 Whoa. I see we are going to put some candles on these cake tiers, how many candles are you planning to ignite on this pagoda of personal pleasure?  Thankfully, we do not have enough candles to correspond to each of the previous years.

It is a flaming marvel!  Sue wields it out of the kitchen with justifiable pride.



I take a big huff an then I give a big puff - and defying all expectations, all of the candles instantly become a smoldering taper of wax.  Well done old man.




Custom Cake comes with what is promoted as 'the perfect gift'.  

Something that she knows I will cherish and and which will give me an instant sense of happiness, it will be the mantle of a 'free spirit' and infuse my countenance with the breezy, foot loose ways of the tropics.  

What is it?




Let the unwrapping reveal the bright pleasure of the islands! Ready?


It is beautiful!

Hang loose ol' dude!

Bring on the Hula Girls!
Let me have another Mai Tai - I feel like a kid again


  

No comments: