Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Llano Lunch - Divine Bovine & Hog Heaven

We left Fredericksburg by way of the back roads, a country highway and headed north that made travelling back home all the more pleasant.  We pulled into the small town of Llano, arriving at about the same time as the first cold front of the season, where we turned up Young Street looking for the nondescript Cooper's Barbecue.  The building is nothing of note, but the many pick-ups and cars in the parking lot give the location away.  I maneuvered the 4Runner into the last space left in the primary parking lot (more spaces behind the building next door if the need arises).


Sue getting in the barbecue line
Cooper's Pit BBQ, Llano, Texas


My friend, Mr. Mark Rice, who throws the acclaimed and occasional 'smoke out', still takes umbrage in the false memory that I am alleged to have said that "Cooper's is my favorite barbecue" - I protest that I never said that; yet he continues in the belief that I have called into question his perfection of the righteous and manly art of smoking brisket and ribs to perfection.  I tell him that after I have savored his smoked meats, that I do not wash my mustache for 3 days, so as to savor the lasting flavor of his smoke out.  Alas, to no avail.  All of this is not to say, that I do not enjoy a meal-and-a-half at Coopers.  For I truly do.

We joined the line in front of Cooper's building, filing slowly toward the grill where the array of smoked meats are displayed.  Offered is, sausage links - jalapeno infused and regular, half chicken, beef & pork ribs, brisket and prime rib.  One points to their particular choice for lunch and then tells the knife wielding attendant how much of each you want him to load onto your tray.  For me it was beef ribs, brisket (fatty & moist & charred) with a link of sausage.  Sue, showing great selection disciple, chose a serving of pork ribs.


At the front of the line, it is time to make your selection of meat(s)
Just in from the smoker, the grill is outside under a cover patio keeps the
finished meats warm before serving


With our trays locked and loaded, we pass through the door into the line where they weigh the contents of your tray and charge accordingly.  It is here that we each added a serving of blueberry cobbler, just in case we might still be hungry and need dessert.


My choice of ribs, brisket & sausage is weighed in the balance,
and I am found "wanting" as the aroma of smoked meat permeates the air

Blueberry Cobbler
The end of a great meal
and the end of a very fine Texas Road Trip
I had eaten enough stuff, but not too much to send me over the comatose-line for the drive back to Garland.  However, I did have to get a doggy bag for a few remaining pieces of brisket plus 1 rib.

As we drove the few hours back north, we could detect more and more autumn color on the foliage as we made our way home over the next several hours.  It was fitting end to a nice little Texas jaunt.  Man, do I know how to travel in style!

No comments: