Thursday, June 18, 2015

Go West! Into the Yosemite

Moving inland from the California coast, we spent a couple of days with Wendy and Barth in Fresno.  Inga flew out of Fresno back to Portland in the afternoon, and then Sue and I joined Pam and Carol, a couple of high school classmates of mind in Madera for dinner and a round of Apples to Apples at Carol's palatial home.  I win!

The following morning we drive up into Yosemite Valley.  We choose to hike up to the Vernal Falls foot bridge upstream from Happy Isles.  I've done this hike many times in decades past, but I did not realize how steep this trail had become, I swear it was nearly flat the last time I was here.  And probably the last time was on our honeymoon 29 years ago.  How things change, 29 years back we hiked to the top of Vernal Falls and probably sucked face, now we only made it to the foot bridge miles below the top of Vernal Falls, and this time we just sucked wind.

For this trip, I had packed the camera back in the car, but I had forgotten that I had left the camera out of the bag for our trip to Madera last night.  I had to rely on the cell phone in my pocket.  It took decent photos, but I could never see the screen to compose the shot.


Vernal Falls in the distance

Sue catches her breath and the spectacular view
from the Vernall Falls foot bridge






On our way up to the footbridge, as we stopped to rest, a woman in spandex paused long enough to ask "are you all right?"  Her tone sounded condescending, like, what are you doing on this trail if you need rest?  She made her destination, been there, got her selfie and came back past us, again asking "are you OK?"  Just to make her point obvious after my first answer.

We had a picnic lunch of cheese and cold cuts on our "courting blanket" laid out across the grass under a large oak tree as we watched Yosemite Falls before us.

Leaving Yosemite valley, we cut off to Glacier Point for an overlook of all Yosemite Valley from above.  Quite a sight.  Especially after being forced into the side of a road cut by "CruiseAmerica" RV rental that was to scared or to inept of a driver to keep his vehicle in his lane, preferring to maneuver the switchback by taking his half out of the middle of the road.  Idiot.



The view from Glacier Point
Half Dome, and Little Yosemite with Vernal and Nevada Falls

Back down the mountain to catch dinner with another old good high school friend at DiCicco's Italian Restaurant (a Madera landmark).  Good to catch up with Blake.

No comments: