Sunday, April 5, 2015

Holy Saturday Red Bud

We took a walk through the Blackland Praire Preserve a few miles from home on Good Friday Eve.  Red Bud and some wildflowers were on display in the twilight as a full Easter Moon rose above the vibrant green hardwood leaves.  It was a sight that filled my soul as a sip of cool water fill a parched mouth.  I purposed to come back the following evening and see if I could capture images similar to what I had just witnessed with my camera.

My weather app on the phone indicated that Saturday's moonrise was to be at 8:13 PM.  I waited in the dusk, looking and testing angles for a good shot of the brightly lit moon beaming through the red bud blossoms.  Clouds as harbingers of the coming Easter-morning rains drifted across the open sky at sunset, and as I waited and checked the time, the moon was not at all visible at 8:13.  We waited in a meadow as the darkness grew, listening to distant coyotes and a brief hoot of an owl.  No moon rise by a darkened 8:25 (so much for phone apps).  We trudged back to the car feeling the dews and damps rising from the Spring vegetation beside the white limestone trail that blazed through the dark ground cover.


Red Bud Blossoms
At the edge of a Blackland Praire meadow



Susan inhales a blossoming sprig

Red Bud before incoming clouds and weather
Holy Saturday

Beauty and Glory
Easter-tide

As we pulled onto our home street (8:31 PM), I could see the moon light shining through a bank of clouds on the eastern horizon.  My idea of a great photograph never materialized, but it was splendid spring evening.

No comments: