Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sage Frost

I journeyed long beneath Texas' withering summer skies,
finding old Solomon in his shade - as he was quite wise.
With an out stretched hand to me he bade,
"Come" he said, "and share my good shade."
With this sagacious man, to each pilgrim only one answer will he give,
and with fevered brain I first asked, "Will Texas' heat not cease, as long as I live?" 

As soon as my one small question had tumbled from my lip,
I knew I had stumbled and let my chance to answer life's mystery now slip.
Old Solomon rolled his eyes and his one answer came with a smirk,
we both knew my casual weather greeting was an unfortunate quirk.

"To everything there is a season,
and to all mystery there is a reason.
God has given every time its due place,
and in all things their appointed space.
This orb of ours spins on a tilted axis -
that's just what the astronomical facts is!"

Now my son go in peace,
my one answer to you is, "Yes, this Texas heat will cease."

At pilgrim's end, my opportunity squandered
after I had journeyed long and wearily wandered.
Yet I held this simple reply from the old sage;
indeed, patience is rewarded in every age.

At first I feared all wisdom sought by me was lost.
But then I peered and understood; as I saw the sage dusted with frost!


Frosted Sage
from our herb garden
To everything there is a season
and a time for everything under heaven


No comments: