Sunday, April 7, 2013

Donut Picnic

When I was maybe 10 years old, the thought occurred to me, "If I ever have a million dollars, I will have a donut every day."

I do not have a million dollars.
And even though I could have a donut every day, it seem like I average about 1 donut every 3 months.

With a bright Spring Saturday looming, I look across the pillow to my wife and I proclaim, "I feel like a million dollars today.  Let's go get some donuts!  -- In fact we are going to have a donut picnic this very morning!"

She insists that if it is going to be that kind of a day, we must go all the way down Garland Avenue into Dallas and get our donuts at Hypnotic Donuts.  Hypnotic Donuts is patterned after Voodoo Donuts in Eugene, Oregon, a place we have already been.  The proprietor tried to get a Voodoo Donut franchise, but was rebuffed, so he settled on Hypnotic instead of Voodoo; hypnotism is less of a dark art than voodoo.  This is my kind of adventure.

I planned on leaving Hypnotic Donuts with a half-dozen of their specialty items, but almost left in either a new SUV or perhaps hand-cuffs.  The donut shop is a popular place, and we had to park way down the strip mall parking lot.  Once we had a box of donuts, including
  • Canadian Health Care (Strip of bacon on a maple bar)
  • Ski Accident (Red raspberry filled long-jump topped with powdered sugar)
  • Almond Around the World (chocolate cake ball topped with shaved almonds, coconut & frosting)
  • Apple Fritter (great taste, but not so unique)
  • A Bavarian Creme & a Blueberry Cake (no real blue berries)


Things I Shouldn't EatI walked down the walk as Sue carried the box.  I pulled out my keys and unlocked the doors and slipped into the silver SUV.  Sue's door did not unlock so I hit the unlock button from the driver-side console, and as she opened her door she said "When did this sticker get on the side window?"  I did not have an answer, but I was about to [try to] put my key in the ignition she said, "This is not our car!"  I looked, and she was right.  We quickly extricated ourselves from our new SUV and I locked the doors as we shut them as we nonchalantly shuffled on to our real vehicle.  We then laughed at ourselves (she telling me "Not a 'visual learner' today are we?") and then I hoped that by my locking the car doors as we slid out, that I did not lock the true owner out of their car.  But what's done is done - we were back on track for the Donut Picnic.

We drove way up highway 78 to the north end of Lake Lavon and spread out the picnic blanket in the morning sun and fed each other donuts and drank OJ.  We also selected a secluded place for our picnic just to make sure that if the law had followed us we could easily hide until we lured the cops away from our hideout with a trail of donut crums before we made our escape.  It was a brilliant plan, and so far it has worked to perfection.

No comments: