Thursday, March 21, 2013

Balanced Accounts - Balanced Universe

There are some amongst us who believe that the Universe is composed of a natural tension.  A tension between the Ying and the Yang, the Dark and the Light, the Consecrated and the Profane.  Maybe so.

There are some amongst us who believe that there are no coincidences, that all things have a purpose, a grand design.  Strive for balance in all things and do not fold, spindle, mutilate or rip the Cosmic Fabric.  If you do trifle with the cosmic balance are you placing yourself in peril?  Maybe so.

So then, have you ever noticed that Girl Scout Cookie sales season coincides with the Federal Tax season?  Is it just a coincidence, or is it part of the Grand Design?  Is the bitter taste of hours of preparing W-2's, Schedule B and Schedule C with carry over credits and losses, Form K-1, 1099's, Tuition expenses and credits and calculation of the Alternative Minimum Tax truly balanced by a box of Thin Mints, Samoas and Do-Si-Dos?  Maybe so.

This year, while seeking balance in my accounts and across the whole universe; I put this notion of tension between bitter and sweet, mental anguish and gastric joy to the test.  I squirreled away several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies like they were deposits to my IRA account.  The completion of each tax form, schedule and worksheet was rewarded with a cookie.  The plan was to pace myself and when it came time to e-file my 1040, I would simultaneously consume the last Thin Mint cookie.  Form 1040 would be balanced by a Thin Mint, I would feel universal harmony upon filing my taxes. 

My taxes have been filed and alas, the Girl Scout cookie boxes are empty.  I feel at peace with all of this, but still the question remains; Am I and the Universe in harmony, or is this peaceful easy feeling merely a coincidence?  I can not say for certain, but if the purchase of Girl Scout cookies were tax deductable that would prove there does exist a Higher Force.

Live long and prosper and may the IRS be with you.


Girl Scout Cookies & Federal Taxes
at the same time - Coincidence?
The Universe is Balanced by Bitter and Sweet
Form 1040 & Thin Mints


No comments: