Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Packers vs Guster

Both "kids" were home from college, Inga for only a few days into January, Grant's hung around a bit longer; length of stay predicated by when classes began.  For Inga it, classes started on the 7th, while Grant did not start the next semester until the 22nd.  As a family, we did not have many activities planned for the Christmas Holidays, the usual: select and cut a live tree from East Texas, eat barbecue, join our friends and enjoy traditional New Year's Eve at the estate of the McCord's 100 miles east of here.  The list was short and sweet.

However, this year an added venue was suggested by the youngin's; The band Guster was going to be back in town and performing with the Dallas Symphony on January 5th.  It was suggested, "Why don't we all go?".

The music of Guster had been independently discover and appreciated a few years back by both Grant and Inga, both having downloaded Guster tunes onto their iPods.  Grant had already seen Guster perform twice, while Inga was feeling left out as many of the bands she would like to see, seem to bypass the University of Oregon in Eugene.  So by fortuitous alignment, Inga could catch Guster performing with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra on Saturday and then fly back to Oregon on Sunday and be ready for classes on Monday.

My little-used iPod lacks any music performed in the past 30 years or so.  I am several standard deviations removed from the typical population in my appreciation of live music and my tin ear may or may not have anything to do with it, but I suspected that whatever the appeal is among many, if not most people, to listen to and appreciate music - I have been found wanting.  I usually just don't get it.  So, with the price of tickets likely a waste on me, I suggested they buy 3 tickets for the upcoming Guster-DSO concert.  I'd stay home and read or get ready to file taxes (actually I'd rather listen to a concert than do taxes - but one is a necessity and the other costs money).If the Guster schedule had fortuitously aligned for Inga, then it became apparent that it was star-crossed for Grant.  At the time the 3 tickets were purchased, the playoff schedule for the Green Bay Packers was undetermined. Now it was obvious, Grant's team, the Packers, were scheduled to play their division rivals, the Minnesota Vikings on the very Saturday evening that Guster was appearing with the Dallas Symphony.

It was Packers vs Guster

 VS

Inga called a few of her friends around town and offered the shot a picking up Grant's ticket.  To no avail at the late date.  So, rather than preparing taxes, I  was going to hear Guster, live with the DSO.

For Inga it was great night, seeing Guster perform was something see had wanted to do.  For Sue, well, she is easily pleased and was glad to partake of the experience.  For me, not so easily pleased, but I would say I was glad to have had the experience.  It was a good show - even I could tell that.

And the Packers prevailed over the Vikings, so even Grant was gratified.



No comments: