Tuesday, September 20, 2011

No Way to Win - Pasty White Boy!

I had the occasion to visit the dermatologist a little while back.  She checked my aging Nordic skin. "Ummm" she says, "This looks a little troubling".  "Do you use sunscreen?"  blah blah blah  "You should be careful about getting too much exposure to the Sun's harmful rays, especially with this type of skin."

           **********************************************************

I had the occasion to visit my family practice doctor to get the results of a routine blood work up.  "Well, everything looks pretty good, though you do need to cut back on [blah blah blah].  However though, you are lacking in Vitamin D." 

But I drink my milk every morning Dr. Dyo, I tell him.  Dr Dyo replies, "That ain't going to cut it, I mean for a pasty white boy like you, you are seriously deficient in Vitamin D.  In fact you are developing rickets, your bones are about to be warped!" 

How about scurvy? Am I going to be like a salty, sea-dog with scurvy?"  "No, vitamin C intake looks fine, but you'll have to take several weeks of mega dose Vitamin D (here's a prescription - and they're cheap pills) and of course you'll have to get out into the sun a bit more to allow you body to process the vitamin D - [pasty white boy]."

Tough choices.  The plight of a pasty white boy: Sun or Shade?  Bones or Epidermis?  Rickets of Carcinoma?

No comments: