Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Couple of Questions

A couple of questions to contemplate:

From the Zen Buddhist tradition; "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
From the Grant Benjamin (my son) tradition; WHY DO YOU ALWAYS WAIT UNTIL THE END THE MOVIE CREDITS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE THEATER?!!!

The first question is meant for contemplation and expansion of one's knowledge of the universe, the second question has always sounded rhetorical if not fervently accusatory to me rather than inquisitive.  I have not deeply meditated on the sound of one hand clapping, while I have consistently ignored the question that has so often come once I have purchase movie tickets for myself and my children.  I just did not think a question delivered in such a strident tone ever deserved a measured explanation.

Last weekend, Sue, Grant and I went to the late showing ($10 each) of True Grit (2010).  After the film credits began to roll across the screen, Sue and I continued steadfast in our seats while others filed out of the theater.  Grant excused himself and headed to the restroom while we remained.  Returning in a few minutes he found us physically unmoved.  Once the screen did go dark, we all left to find our car and drive home.  While walking through the parking lot, Grant says, "You know, I have always wondered why you stay to the end of the credits?"  Now comes an opportunity to provide a contemplative answer to a reasonable question.

From the Woody Allen tradition;
   Q: Why does a rabbi always answer a question with a question?
   A: Why shouldn't a rabbi answer a question with a question?

Why do I wait for the film credits to finish before I leave my seat?
  • After investing myself emotionally in the realm of the story, characters and action, I like to just sit quietly for a few moments and unwind, is that OK?
  • What is the rush to get up and jostle with everyone else to hurry up and exit?
  • I am always curious as to where the film sets were located [Yes, it is a bit nerdy of me to try and guess the locations from the rock outcrops and geomophological features seen in the film.  To the point: True Grit script says the action took place in Ft. Smith, Arkansas and Oklahoma Territory, but it was filmed in New Mexico and Granger, Texas (no mountains like that in Oklahoma)]
  • The closing sound tract is more continuous and can be one of the more powerful elements of a film
  • Sometimes they place really funny out-takes at the end of the film, wouldn't want to miss that, would you?
  • I just paid big bucks for this experience and so I figure the longer I stay, the better the deal, including occupying those fuzzy butt seats as long as possible
  • Even if I wanted to leave, I find it hard to get moving while my shoes are stuck to the floor by the powerful concoction of spilled soda pop, buttery pop corn and Jujubes
While I am sitting in a now empty theater and credit is being given where credit is due, to all "the little people"; the Best Boy, Key Grips, Foley Artist and Greens, I am sure they (whatever they do) appreciate having me read their names as they race across the silver screen. And if I have been reward by a particularly rich cinematic experience, you can hear my approval in the sound of one hand clapping.

No comments: