Tuesday, July 28, 2026

High Sierra Trek to Winnemucca Lake

Trailhead for our 6 mile trek to Winnemucca Lake

 There were many options for Day 5 at the Wilkin Reunion. Norman has listed a description of trails around the area, we chose a 6 mile roundtrip, moderate trail through high Sierra meadows, glaciated granitic boulders with my purpose to make it to Winnemucca Lake (and back). But once there, my objective was to eat green grapes at Winnemucca Lake. Let's go!

A migrating California Tortoise Shell butterfly
pausing to collect minerals on the shore of
Frog Lake.

It was a 40 minute drive to Carson Pass, the trailhead for our hike, which coincided with the famous Pacific Crest Trail that arduous 'through-hikers' walk from the Mexican border to the Canadian border.

Once we set one foot in front of the other on our trail, we were amazed to be in the migratory path of thousands upon thousands of California Tortoise Shell butterflies who ripped past us a great speed, heading south.

As flatlanders, we took it at our own easy pace. Stopping to examine the mineralogy of the granitic boulders on our mountain trail.











Mark on the PCT
We exchange observation with a birding couple packing in for one night




Vista across a high Sierra meadow





Indian Paintbrush blooms between granite slabs

High Sierra mountain meadow


We climbed to Winnemucca Lake, elevation 8,980 feet. We gained about 500' in 2.5 miles. I was pleased that an often sedentary 68 year old still had the lungs and legs to do this trek. Victory!


Wife at Winnemucca Lake

My goal for the day: Eat green grapes at Winnemucca Lake.




Green grape at the ready.
Set.
Go!



Mission accomplished!

Enjoy the journey.

***

Sue and I meet up with Maz, a PCT hiker who has done 400 miles.

We were almost back to the parking lot at Carson Pass Trailhead, when we met Maz, a hiker on the Pacific Crest Trail. He is planning on completing the whole PCT in sections, having already walked 400 miles through California when we met Maz.

He asked us if per chance, we might be heading toward South Lake Tahoe. I told him we were indeed planning to go that direction.

He asked, somewhat tentatively, if he could hitch a ride into town with us.

My mom always told me that if you stop and pick up hitchhikers, you never know what these strangers will do to you. So I told him, "yes, we'd be glad to give him a lift." 

He was so relieved, he had never asked for a ride before and was glad it turned out to be this easy. Maz is from Seattle and teaches computer programming at a Preparatory School. 



Maz had reservations a PCT Hiker's Hostel near the Nevada State Line. I told him we'd deliver him to his targeted doorstep.

He asked what our plans were for the day. I told him we'd just hiked 6 miles and I thought we earned a reward. I had some ice cream concoction in mind. I said, "My six miles to your 400 miles, I'll be happy to treat you too."

We found the creatively named, Lakeview Creamery in town and I ordered a root beer float. Maz ordered a double scoop waffle cone and insisted he pay for all three of us. I accepted.

Just like mom always said, "If you stop and pick up a strange, smelly hitchhiker, you never know what they'll do to you."

Mom was right, our PCT hitchhiker bought us ice cream. You just never know.

Enjoy the journey.

No comments: