Thursday, August 27, 2026

A Tranquill Visit to Roaring North Sauk Falls

In August were welcomed family visiting from Minnesota, Sue's brother Tom and his wife Esther. Here on The Pilchuck we have options; do you like mountains or prefer the beach? Here, one does not have to choose. We got them both.

One morning we decided it was a 'mountain day'. We drove up the road to Darrington, took the mountain Loop Highway (a dirt road) to stroll to the edge of the precipice and admire North Sauk Falls.

Tom stands beyond the edge of the precipice
ready to capture the roar of North Sauk Falls

Tom and I scrambled down the steep slope over angular rocks and protruding tree roots handy for handholds on the way over the edge. The view from within the clouds of mist were worth it. 






I think that some warm summer day, when the sun's rays break the shadows of the surrounding conifers and catch the tumultuous mist rising from the blue green pool and its light gets shattered into rainbows dancing within this rocky cauldron, that I might come here at let my thoughts flow over the edge and wash away. I think on that day I too will rise from the rocky cauldron and be renewed and refreshed for having bathed in a rainbow.

 

No comments: